Recommendations for lightweight backpacking tent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Davesaw 09 May 2016
I was nearly set to order a Trekkertent Drift or Stealth but they're on 5 week lead time. Has anyone any recommendations for something that might be available more quickly?
Requirements are: light (less then 1.5kg, say), space for 1 or 2 people but with a good vestibule area and reasonable head room, not a garish colour (so it can be used for wild camping), ability to use walking poles would be good, available in a couple of weeks.
Used would be OK if it's in good condition.
 Cheryl 09 May 2016
In reply to Davesaw:

I recently bought an MSR freelite 2 man and I absolutely love it. I've camped in the snow and pouring rain, and it has done brilliantly. It weighs 1.4 kg, but I also bought the footprint (the floor felt very thin to me and I didn't want to rip it) so I guess that adds a little weight, but it packages up pretty small and is really fantastic for backpacking.

As you'd expect it's cosy with 2 inside, but you can keep gear outside but under the porches, and the tent itself is long enough to have your kit at your feet (unless you are really long)

Pros:
light, easy to put up (though I did have a practice run in the living room with youtube help!), feels sturdy, two entrances (so you aren't climbing over each other), 2 porches for gear, space to sit up in the middle of the tent, space enough for 2 full size thermarests

Cons:
I did get condensation when I camped in the snow, but no other time, so I'm hoping this was just because it was sooooo cold.

I bought it on Elite Mountain supplies where you also get a BMC discount.
 Big Steve 09 May 2016
In reply to Davesaw: A little expensive, but I was very impressed with the force ten nitro lite 2, I had a good look at this years Outdoor Show. Lightweight, loads of room inside and felt very sturdy
 TobyA 09 May 2016
In reply to Cheryl:

> I did get condensation when I camped in the snow, but no other time, so I'm hoping this was just because it was sooooo cold.

How/where? Looking at the pics it seems to be a mesh inner. I've got an MSR Hubba which is all mesh, and you never get problems with condensation on the inner with that. Of course you get it inside the fly, but every tent has that.
Davesaw 10 May 2016
In reply to Cheryl:

Thanks, it looks good but I'd prefer to be able to get the outer up first.
Davesaw 10 May 2016
In reply to Big Steve:

That looks very good, but £450 is more than I'm prepared to pay.
 Cheryl 10 May 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Mostly the inner is mesh but around the head area it is material up to around 30 cm, which was right where my head was! It was wet to touch, and I assumed that the snow had got in, but the outside of this bit was dry to touch, so I assumed it was condensation since it was around -10 outside! I've not had the problem since. The inside of the fly was dry as far as I could tell.
 SFM 25 May 2016
In reply to Davesaw:

Have a look here http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/page/2/ as they have a few options that might suit. Perhaps others can comment on specific tents.

If it were me I'd look at the Big Agnes range as have been mightily impressed by my Fly Creek UL. It's probably too minimalist for your needs though.
 sparkymark 26 May 2016
In reply to Davesaw:

Have you looked at the Alpkit Ordos 2? http://www.climbingtips.com/gear/alpkit-ordos-2-tent-review/

It's pretty light, cheap, and the Alpkit build quality is the same (good) as ever...
 TMM 26 May 2016
In reply to Davesaw:

I've got a Tarptent Scarp 2 that I am no longer using (too much dad time, not enough outdoors time).

Drop me a line if you're interested.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...