Yulin-dog-meat-festival

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oceanrower 04 May 2016
In reply to aln:

They eat dogs, we eat pigs and cows. What's the difference?
 mrphilipoldham 05 May 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:
The difference is, the hypocrites who bleat on about the animal rights of the dogs, believe our farming and meat industries to be happy clappy love filled food production lines have zero idea what our farming and meat industries actually do.

(The hypocrites being pig/cow/sheep meat eaters)
Post edited at 00:12
OP aln 05 May 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

Did you watch the film in the link?
OP aln 05 May 2016
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Start a thread about that if you think it's something you're interested in. It isn't relevant here.
 wintertree 05 May 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

> They eat dogs, we eat pigs and cows. What's the difference?

Pigs and cows don't lick their own bottoms clean after pooing?

I think pigs are arguably more intelligent than dogs, and we're a lot closer to being able to transplant pig organs into people than dog organs, so I wonder if we're closer evolutionarily.

My problem is less with the eating of dogs than the apparent intentional cruelty and theft of pets for the pot...
OP aln 05 May 2016

> The difference is, the hypocrites who bleat on about the animal rights of the dogs, believe our farming and meat industries to be happy clappy love filled food production lines have zero idea what our farming and meat industries actually do.

> (The hypocrites being pig/cow/sheep meat eaters)

No-one has said anything about that on this thread other than you.
OP aln 05 May 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

Who's they?
 Lurking Dave 05 May 2016
In reply to aln:

> It isn't relevant here.

Of course it is relevant.

You are presumably objecting to the activities at the dog meat festival? (its a bit hard to tell as you haven't actually stated a position or a reason why you posted the link, perhaps you were helping spread the word in case we had forgotten to buy tickets????)

Cheers
LD
In reply to aln:

How is global food production and our values on it not relevant?
 Oceanrower 05 May 2016
In reply to aln:

They are the people in the film. You posted it, isn't it obvious?
 DaveHK 05 May 2016
In reply to aln:

> Start a thread about that if you think it's something you're interested in. It isn't relevant here.

This isn't going the way you'd hoped is it?
 deepsoup 05 May 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

As far as species goes, probably none. Pigs are certainly no less sentient than dogs.
The cruely inflicted on those dogs would be no more acceptable for pigs, cows, goats, whatever.
 flopsicle 05 May 2016
In reply to aln:

I think it is worth talking about.

I eat meat. I don't think eating dog meat is wrong, but I do think both meat eaters and vegetarians can look to improve how animals live and experience death. To say that eating meat requires you to have zero opinion on animal welfare is overly black and white thinking, even for the most militant of veggies.

So China.... I used to think that life is what it is and not seeing things or not knowing them is never the better position to be in, till I watched a clip of a dog skinned alive (apparently it's easier to remove the skin that way). I had never imagined that an animal would still be alive, but I could see the skinned dogs blink, breathe and move.

I'm not going to search for the clip again, knowing didn't enrich my life and I would not share it anyway, but it did change my opinion that ignorance is never bliss.

To be really clear - I do not think conditions for dog destined for meat in China are the same as those for the beef bullocks, sheep and pigs in the uk. I think we still need to improve our own conditions but we should put pressure on other countries, just as other countries should put pressure on us at times.

> The difference is, the hypocrites who bleat on about the animal rights of the dogs, believe our farming and meat industries to be happy clappy love filled food production lines have zero idea what our farming and meat industries actually do.

Farmers son here. Would far rather be one of our beef cattle out in the sun wandering about today than a dog in a cage.
 MonkeyPuzzle 05 May 2016

> (The hypocrites being pig/cow/sheep meat eaters)

I don't know anyone who believes the UK's farming industry to be "happy clappy love filled food production lines", but I'm sure it's a useful strawman to wheel out. Our farming industry (when the regs are followed) is certainly more humane than bludgeoning someone's stolen family pet to death, purposefully inflicting as much pain as possible to make its meat tastier.
 Phil Anderson 05 May 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

From the article...

"Many of them had collars, indicating they pets who had been stolen from families. "

"Mr Li said he witnessed animals being bludgeoned to death with metal rods before being disemboweled and dismembered in front of the other dogs - some restaurant owners claim the pain and fear makes their adrenaline-rich meat tastier."

In reply to Clinger:

> "Mr Li said he witnessed animals being bludgeoned to death with metal rods before being disemboweled and dismembered in front of the other dogs - some restaurant owners claim the pain and fear makes their adrenaline-rich meat tastier."

Holy f*cking shit. That's depressing.
 plyometrics 05 May 2016
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

Agreed.

Personally, I don't eat meat, but don't object to anyone who does.

What I do object to is any animals reared for consumption being treated in an inhumane and cruel way during their life and ultimate slaughter.

Pets or not, from what reporting I have seen of the dog 'festival', the way they are dealt with is nothing short of truly abhorrent.
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

Likewise, but the fate is all the same.

Just because it lives a nice life whilst it can, it doesn't mean death is all the more acceptable.

Slaughtermans grandson here
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

A slight exaggeration but to make the point that folk generally believe our farmed animals do not suffer, and that they're well looked after right up until the kill. I've spoken with many folk about this and whilst they're quick to criticise, they're a little more reluctant to accept the truth of our own production (at least the kill end of it, anyway).

As in my previous reply, grandson of a slaughterman and I've seen him work countless times. To ignore the clear fear in those animals is naive at best. It almost turned me veggie, but o have too strong a love of bacon!

> Just because it lives a nice life whilst it can, it doesn't mean death is all the more acceptable.

I actually agree with you. And I have considered becoming vegetarian in the past but haven't had the conviction to do it yet.

However I am moving back to the countryside this summer and intend to get my meat from the best possible sources (parent's farm). i.e. beef, chicken will be rare luxury once they're done laying, and my other meat being what ever I can shoot in the fields. Rabbit, pigeon etc. If I have to eat meat I want to make sure it's killed quickly, unexpectedly and doesn't know much about it. It'll also encourage me to eat less meat if I can't catch it.

Interestingly I grew up a keen shot. I decided I didn't agree with it and gave up. I am now beginning to think (after eating a lot of my mum's pheasant casserole) that it is actually probably the most humane way to eat meat. Definitely better than chicken from the supermarket.

Interestingly: Normal for Norfolk (BBC2) has touched on this recently and is good watching. It's on iPlayer.

EDIT: noticed I hijacked the thread. Sorry!
Post edited at 12:19
OP aln 05 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> This isn't going the way you'd hoped is it?

It's going exactly the way I thought it would.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...