Belaying toprope with a petzl shunt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RobBrooks 02 May 2016
Once saw a person belaying a toprope climber with a petzl shunt. Never seen or heard of it done before but i have done toprope soloing with a petzl shunt so i guess it would be safe as you dont really get huge falls on toprope?
 RyanOsborne 02 May 2016
In reply to RobBrooks:

Wouldn't it be a ballache to lower them down? Why is it better than using a belay device?
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Yeah, lowering safely would be the problem, be a good chance of dropping someone. When you disengage the cam, there is almost no friction through the device. Use one of the many proper belay devices instead.
 Andy Say 02 May 2016
In reply to RobBrooks:

The basic question is 'why' would you want to?

I've seen some people doing pretty damn stupid things on crags myself But I can't fathom why you would want to do that instead of use a dedicated and 'designed-for-purpose' belay device.

Neil Williams 02 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

I was going to say "if you dropped your belay device", but if that happened an Italian hitch would probably be a better choice. On the one occasion I did that, the Italian hitch did a perfectly good job.
 RR 02 May 2016
In reply to RobBrooks:

Troll?
(I climb most of the time once a week, solo, with a Shunt, top rope.)
I don’t get it.
Is the belayer belaying from the top with a Shunt? If yes then I wouldn’t do it, read what Dan Middleton says. Otherwise belaying from the bottom …
 Andy Say 03 May 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:
> I was going to say "if you dropped your belay device"

Did exactly that at the top of a multi-pitch sport route last year: it works for abseiling as well! God bless the Italian hitch I say
Post edited at 10:20
 Neil Williams 03 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

One hint when abbing on an Italian hitch - don't get your finger caught. It really does hurt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...