Ice axe grip size

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Hageman 02 May 2016
I was in Ellis Brigham yesterday, and had a swing of a few technical axes. All of them had a very small grip circumference, and I found the axe swivelled in my hand easily. I have quite big hands and take size L or XL gloves.
Comparing axes with tennis rackets, where a multitude of different grip sizes are available to suit big hands and long fingers, is it not a good idea for axe manufacturers to offer larger grip sizes too?
Many years ago, I bulked up my axe grips with high density foam on the front and back, but left the sides the same. The result is a grip which looks like a hand gun - narrow end on, but wide in profile - which prevents the axe from swivelling sideways in my grip, and may also increase my grip strength.
Anyone who's tried to play tennis with a racket grip size far too small for their hands, will find it very difficult to stop the racket twisting when striking the ball.
I'd also be interested to know about grip strength and stamina at different grip sizes. For example, might it be increased with a larger grip size? Could forearm pump be reduced?
Any sports scientists done any research into this?
 TobyA 02 May 2016
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Did you try the DMM tools? I don't know about the others but I think the grip on the Switches favours people with bigger hands. http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6189
OP Jamie Hageman 02 May 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Yes Toby. You can see in your photo of all the axes laid out that they all have quite skinny grips.
In reply to TobyA:

Just measured my modified Petzl Aztarex grips, and they are 40mm by 20mm, as opposed to the norm which seems to be about 30mm x 20mm. I wonder if any axe manufacturers have measured grip strength at different diameters.
 George Fisher 02 May 2016

Its a problem for us axe manufacturers. You can't please everyone (easily). You could please everyone by making customisable grips or having a range of sizes but this would basically lead to problems of stock control and cost. We're thinking of offering 2 sizes and I even have the demo tools available in different sizes but making just 2 in the right numbers would be a headache.

We get feedback that our grip is too big from some folk and at the very same time that it's too small. What makes it even more confusing is this mixed feedback can come from people with the same sized hands. Its all a matter of personal preference as much as anatomical 'fit'. Again I've thought about ways to have interchangable elements that you could swap around to adjust volume but its just too expensive to do effectivly.

I wear a L glove and find Nomics for instance to be too low volume regardless of the length setting used. I find myself over gripping them and getting the swivelling action that you describe. Slightly fatter suits me...but not the next guy.

When I raced bikes I found the same thing with skinny grips and got arm pump. Letting go (a bit) helped and does with axes too but it's hard to loosen you're grip when you're 'gripped'

In reply to George Fisher:
Thanks for your reply. I can see it's not easy to cater for all sizes. It might be that the homemade option is the way to go for people that need it, or maybe I'll produce 'The Grip Enlarger' and pitch it to the Dragons.
I'd be interested to find out more about the demo tools you have and what the grips are like. Do you have any photos?
Post edited at 23:01
 George Fisher 03 May 2016

Hi Jamie

Our website "furnace-industries .com" should give you a good idea of the grip design situation. The tools have a pretty typical grip design for a tech tool, but on the upper end of the volume scale.

I can PM you more specific photos/measurements if you need or want to organise a demo. Not sure if you have any conditions left to try a pair out.

George
 iksander 05 May 2016

> Many years ago, I bulked up my axe grips with high density foam on the front and back, but left the sides the same. The result is a grip which looks like a hand gun - narrow end on, but wide in profile - which prevents the axe from swivelling sideways in my grip, and may also increase my grip strength.

I have XL hand and did this on my Grivel Quatum Techs (small grips) with some Sugru building up the front and back of the grips - 10 minute job for a custom fit.

> I'd also be interested to know about grip strength and stamina at different grip sizes. For example, might it be increased with a larger grip size? Could forearm pump be reduced?

My hunch is that it isn't a linear relationship; if the grip is too small you overgrip and struggle with twisting, if it is too big that can be pumpy and hard to relax your grip and keep control. In my "garden shed" experimentation I found a narrow grip that left about 1-2cm between finger tips and heel of my hand when closed worked best

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...