Van Insulation - help please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jus 28 Apr 2016
Hi all

I am going to be insulating the rear of my Fiat Ducato LWB soon, and was going to use this self-adhesive stuff on top of some noise buffers http://www.deadening.co.uk/products/dodo-thermo-van-liner

Can anyone confirm that this is good stuff to use at a decent price, or perhaps offer alternatives of what they used?

I was also then going to use some cheap squidy insulation on top off the Dodo Thermal Liner so that there was no gap between this and the ply. Any recommendations for what to use?

Thanks

Jus
In reply to Jus:

if you can use kingspan/celotex then use this in conjunction with foil bubble wrap stuff. doesn't need to be adhesive, just use carpet glue spray.
Bellie 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Jus:

Its great stuff. I used some from another site. Its very sticky so adheres well and it easy to apply. It made a big difference to my traffic - stopping it sounding like an empty tin box. I followed up too with some cheap synthetic fill on a roll over it - which was also great for stuffing in the voids too. I then reapplied my plywood liner and covered in the van felt.

Richard Wilson 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Jus:

Remember to fit a water proof membrane to stop moisture getting in to the insulation or behind it against the metal. Also really important is plenty of ventilation.
 CMcBain 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Jus:

Hi,

Just finished insulating my MWB tranny and used similar stuff as a base (straight onto the metal chassis) although didn't find my foil bubble wrap as cheap as the one you linked. Onto of that I spray glued this stuff on;

dacron polyester camper van insulation (can't share the ebay link but just pop that into an eBay search)

Fits nicely into cavities and odd shapes. I had several sheets of celetox/kingspan insulation but tbh found it to annoying and time consuming to fit into all the crevices of the van.

Good luck, its great fun converting a van!
 Dervey 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Jus:

I used similar stuff insulating my kangoo. Great stuff, dead easy to work with. It's done a good job of insulating and soundproofing too
OP Jus 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Hi, was your stuff around the same price?

What cheap synthetic fill did you use btw?
OP Jus 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Dervey:

Same stuff same kind of price?
OP Jus 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Richard Wilson:

The dodo thermal liner is moisture resistant, or are you talking about something else?
 Garrouli 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Jus:
In my opinion, you are better off with something like Celotex or kingspan as it has far better insulation qualities than the buuble wrap stuff. There is some info somewhere on the tinternet comaring the insulation properties of different insulators and bubble wrap is at the bottom of the scale. I have a Fiat Ducato LWB as well and used 25mm celotex for the floor and the roof and 50mm for the sides and still managed a 6ft bed lengthways across the van. Stick it on with either high temp glue or stikall/sikaflex (Be careful what adhesives you use, if it isnt a high temp glus then if you go somewhere warm, things will start falling off). For the awkward areas, i used fire-resistant expanding foam. On top of that, some people then add a waterproof membrane but there seems to be an arguement over whether this is really worthwhile or not. I didn't and after two years, I have had no problems with condensation.

The ply doesn't have to be sitting on top of the insulation as well. It is probably better to leave an air gap as the insulation will work better - like how double glazing works.
Post edited at 09:40
 Nicola 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Jus:

I'm mid conversion of my vivaro to a camper so have been taking the Internet. There's loads of info here: http://sbmcc.co.uk if you join as a visitor and look back through the forum for a thread on insulation. or pay £15 for membership to search and read everything.
 Alex Riley 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Nicola:

I'm coming to the end of a ducato conversion.ivused 25mm kingspan/celotex for the roof, 50mm for the walls, then ybs airtech bubble foil over the top. The airtech in theory creates a vapor barrier and air gap.

After that ply lined and carpeted with easyliner. So far its been really good. The celotex is pretty cheap too, I got mine from a local builders yard and it was much less than screwfix, wicked etc...

We also got a 6ft bed widthways (cut the foam for the bed last night.

I have some pictures if that would be helpful, send me a message.

Alex
 CMcBain 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Alex Riley:

Sorry for hijack but just wondering where you got foam for a bed? Being a shorty I can fit a width ways bed in my transit as long as I sleep a bit diagonal but wondering where I can find non standard mattress foam sizes...

Thanks
 Nicola 29 Apr 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

There's some on eBay, search for campervan foam.
 Garrouli 29 Apr 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

Or buy an Ikea foam matteress and cut it to size with an electric bread knife.
 Garrouli 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Nicola:

+1 for joining the SBMCC. Definitely worth the £15 joining fee and then some.
 Dervey 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Jus:
http://www.harrisonstrimsupplies.co.uk/35mm-dacron-1-roll-at-15m-23186-p.asp

I used the thermoliner found here, seems similar. It's honestly done a great job, can be fiddly in corners etc but otherwise is dead simple to work with.
Post edited at 11:49
 Alex Riley 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Garrouli:
Ikea mattress like mentioned above, used an normal breadknife.
Post edited at 13:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...