Nutrition Advice: Healthy to eat the exact same thing each day?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 28 Apr 2016
Nutritional Experts:

I want to be healthy but variety is painstaking... does anyone in the know, know if you put together the 'perfect' balanced nutritious meal... like say.... some broccoli, brown rice/sweet potato and a chicken breast. (I made that up but I assume it's pretty healthy) and just ate that every single day for evening meal (and made up similar balanced meals for breakfast/lunch -

- would that be good or bad for you in the long term? Assuming you wanted to lose weight and just be generally balanced...

A bit like in the movie (is it The Fly?) where he say's Einstein wore the same clothes every day, that's what I'm going for - "take the hassle out of health..."

There is so much stuff out there on nutrition on the web you can basically find evidence to prove anything so just wanted some advice off real people. Thanks.
In reply to elliot.baker:
You would want to add more veg to that. I was recently told that its not too bad to repeat meals a lot but your plate should look like this:

1/4 carbs

1/4 protein

1/2 veg - as many different colours as poss as different coloured veg give you different nutrients.

I was also told to aim for circa 8 fruit and veg portions a day to ensure i got at least 5 (if that makes sense) and that fruit is less good than veg as it is sugary.

I don't eat exactly the same thing every day but a lot of my meals are similar and I virtually always eat leftovers for lunch the next day.

HTH
Post edited at 09:44
 natehd9 28 Apr 2016

Unless you're not that into your food I really wouldn't suggest eating the same thing every day, you'd quickly get bored.

As Duncan suggested, eat loads of veg and limit to about 3-5 portions of fruit a day, sugar is sugar, no matter if it's fructose or glucose. Nuts are a good snacking alternative to fruit...
OP elliot.baker 28 Apr 2016
In reply to natehd9:

Thanks for the tips, regarding nuts I notice they have a huge amount of fat in them - is this cause for concern? How many nuts is a healthy portion? Is eating very fatty foods like that ever advisable I you are trying to reduce your body fat?
 Bulls Crack 28 Apr 2016

Very bad for me I suspect - I would die of boredom
 JJL 28 Apr 2016

Rice dal bhat is eaten twice a day for very long periods by some nepalese. Seems fine
 Bob Hughes 28 Apr 2016

i'm doing quite a good diet at the moment where you cut out potatoes, rice etc and just have a measured piece of protein at every meal with masses of green veg (broccoli etc). If you feel short of calories top it up with lentils. The kicker is you get 1 day off a week so you can splurge on all the things you didn't eat during the week.

i cook it all up on Sunday afternoon ' 5 chicken breasts in the oven take the same amount of time as one

It works well until you have a friend in town who wants to go for a beer mid-week.
 felt 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Can't you just let them have their beer?
 Tyler 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

> 1/4 carbs

> 1/4 protein

> 1/2 veg - as many different colours as poss as different coloured veg give you different nutrients.

No fat? Doesn't veg contain carbs?

In reply to Tyler:

protein sources would usually contain fat. the carbohydrate refers to things you would traditionally think of as such. e.g protein refers to eggs, fish, meat, etc. carbs refers to rice, potatoes, pasta, etc

the veg aspect is to ensure you get enough nutrients.

the example is meant not meant for you to then work out what you need to eat to get these into your diet. its meant to give you a rough example of the quantities of each food group you should eat in order to have a balanced diet, hence why I didn't give a proportion to fat/salt/etc.

jonfun21 28 Apr 2016
In reply to JJL:

Reminds me of a T-Shirt I saw someone wearing in Kathmandu airport which said on the front

"24 hour Dal bhat power"
llechwedd 28 Apr 2016

> I want to be healthy but variety is painstaking... does anyone in the know, know if you put together the 'perfect' balanced nutritious meal... like say.... some broccoli, brown rice/sweet potato and a chicken breast. (I made that up but I assume it's pretty healthy)

Was that the right, or left, chicken breast in your 'perfect' meal? The toxins from cardiac metabolism tend to accumulate in the left breast ( I made that up). If you undercook it, it's not very healthy. If you overcook it , it tastes dry. If you brown it, it tastes nice, but then you can worry about acrylamides. What oil and what temperature will you cook it in? I presume you'd say it'd be steamed ( cos that's meant to be 'good') and so it goes on. Variable after variable.

Is it good for global health to fly in staples such as sweet potatoes and brown rice? If Krill tablets, or things made by a nasty corporation are a 'good' source of something, should you buy them?

> There is so much stuff out there on nutrition on the web you can basically find evidence to prove anything so just wanted some advice off real people. Thanks.

The individuals who reply to this post are 'on the web' and you will have a job deciding if the opinions given are valid. If we were to be scientific about this, you should only canvas advice from people who are of the same gender, age group and have your lifestyle and activity level.
Nutritional advice is largely hokum, that's why charlatans like Gillian McKeith are wealthy. You can take the 'my body is a temple' thing a bit too far. Eat what you like, and watch your health.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...