Thermarest or Exped mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cheryl 27 Apr 2016

After spending a night camping on rocky ground in the snow recently, having hiked all day with my gear, I decided to upgrade my roll mat. I currently use an old style thermarest which is brilliant, comfortable, pretty warm and feels sturdy on rock. However it is heavy and big and takes up half my pack which is really the only reason I'm upgrading.

I've been looking at the thermarest neoair Xtherm or even the prolite plus, and Exped downmat UL (which does seem to be winning atm)

Any views or opinions?

After seeing the neoair I did wonder
1) if I can cope with the noise (it is made from such noisy material!)
And
2) if it would be strong enough to not rip (it seemed very fragile) which is why I'm also considering the prolite plus

I haven't seen a downmat in real life so can't compare. If you own one I'd be grateful for opinions please!

Weight and size are issues as is warmth, and I don't mind paying more for the right mat.

Thanks.
Post edited at 23:43
valjean 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Cheryl:

i own both
i like both

if i had to have only one... im certain id keep the down mat. the down mat is warmer. and the down mat feels like it is more puncture resistant. plus with the downmat you get a pump bag. thermarest it is an extra unless you get one that comes with the battery powered pump
 ben b 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Cheryl:

Personally, I find the combination of a downmat and a closed cell foam mat optimal (and failsafe for puncture) but of course bulky. If going to be on snow for >1 night I think it makes sense. For an overnight then can probably survive uncomfortably with a flat downmat...

Downmats are lovely and warm, comfortable, heavy and expensive but if I'm already committed to carrying the weight then I go with the 'full strength' version rather than the UL.

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...