Recommend me a family tent for 5 (car camping)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jussy 23 Apr 2016
Hiya

We are a family of 5 with 3 kids ages 5 and under... We have been getting by with two tents - a 3 man and a 2 man - but thinking we would like to just get one family tent for us all and with maybe a shelter area as well to eat in when raining... We will be car camping so although lighter and more compact is always good, it does not matter too much. We do want something which is good quality , sturdy and waterproof...

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jim C 23 Apr 2016
In reply to jussy:
We do want something which is good quality , sturdy and waterproof...

A big tent that can be put up by one adult (whilst the other one keeps the young kids happy!)

Is there not a modular tent that you can put up smaller compartments and zip them together ?
( think I have seen one it looked like a star )

Try
Modular tent uk
Post edited at 21:37
 scruff 23 Apr 2016
In reply to jussy:

Got a similar number but slightly older kids and use one of these

http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Tents/Division-Dome-5P-green.html

Certainly good quality , sturdy and waterproof but depending on your taste you might find it a bit compact.
 Sealwife 23 Apr 2016
In reply to jussy:

We are a family of 5 and have an Outwell Montana, with a porch extension. It's massive. Not lightweight, not compact, but extremely sturdy, heaps of space. Other half is 6ft 3 and can stand up inside the tent. Plenty of room for everyone. Have take it to climbing club meets and when it rained we all fitted inside for fun and beer (11 of us). Apologies to the rest of the campsite for the laughter.
Graeme G 23 Apr 2016
In reply to jussy:

We bought a Vango Colorado 800 DLX a few years ago. Sleeps 8 (4+2+2). Massive living space. Only available as 'used' now. I would highly recommend it. Plenty of space for family, gear, camping table, chairs etc. You could probably park the car in it.
 marsbar 23 Apr 2016
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Vango-Vista-800/318

In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

I would also recommend vango. My ridiculously big tent is a vango vista 800. Again its probably not available this year but in general I like vango. We had high winds and rain and it was fine. We camped for 2 weeks with 2 teenagers and it was plenty of space.

Pictures above.

OP jussy 24 Apr 2016
In reply to marsbar:

thanks all!

any comments on the decathlon arpanaz family tents for quality?

like this one maybe:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-52-xl-family-tent-5-man-id_8330640.html

Graeme G 24 Apr 2016
In reply to jussy:

Our family is getting smaller so we've just ordered one of these

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-42-family-tent-4-man-id_8294503.html

Gimme a few weeks and i'll let you know how i get on
OP jussy 24 Apr 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

that looks perfect size for us as well...just seems to cheap so i would be very interested to hear how the quality is... please let me know!

Kai Autio 24 Apr 2016
In reply to jussy:

Have had Arpanaz 4 for one year trip. It was really good and served well. Last month was a bit too much for it, guess it had enough UV and the fabric was paper thin.
Graeme G 24 Apr 2016
In reply to jussy:

I was looking for cheap outdoor clothing for my daughter and others on here recommended Quecha. Have to say it's been ok. Not the standard of my usual brands but def good enough for her. So if the tent is of a similar quality then we should be ok. Also note at £100 it's half price which puts in with the bigger players.
 Jamie Wakeham 24 Apr 2016
In reply to jussy:

Our car-camping tent is an Outwell. In general, their tents seem to be tough, well-made, and waterproof even in fairly unpleasant conditions. They are heavy, though, and you'll struggle to put them up if there's only one adult. If you can live with that they're a lot of tent for the price.
 jimtitt 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Sealwife:
I too run some gigantic Outwell tent with extension, works fine with 5 people, 2 dogs, queen-size airbeds etc etc. Neither light nor fast to put up alone but I´d buy another one for sure. It´s survived the Devon coast, Brittany, thunderstorms in the Frankenjura and the Dolomites and my kids.
Graeme G 08 May 2016
In reply to jussy:

> that looks perfect size for us as well...just seems to cheap so i would be very interested to hear how the quality is... please let me know!

Haven't used it in anger yet, but put the Arpenaz 4.2 up in the garden today. Unbelievably easy for two to erect. Quality looks ok, for the price. Given we'll unlikely ever camp in that rain it looks like it will be prove to be a winner. And the storage bag isn't one of those where you need to vacuum all the air out to put the tent back in.
 freeheel47 09 May 2016
In reply to jussy:

Hello- we have a Terra Nova Laser Space 5 which we have used for cycle touring. 2 Adults and kids 5, 10 and 13.

It is tall enough to stay up in, weighs only just over 5kg and is waterproof. It is super lightweight with kevlar guy ropes, titanium pegs and so is a bit pricey - but quite hard wearing- http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/laser-space-5-tent/

It might be overkill for use with a car though....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...