Rum Cuillin from Harris?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 19 Apr 2016
I am planning a camping trip to Rum the weekend after next, and am going to base ourselves at Harris on the SW side of the island.

The plan will be to do the Cuillin from/to there. I have done the traverse twice before, but always stayed at Dibidil. The idea this time is to not have to carry the kit, and not have to make the awful boggy return at the end of the day.

So, has anyone done the traverse including Barkeval from this direction, and any comments on the descent from Ruinsival? How easily avoidable are the crags?

Any constructive comments welcome
 Jamie B 19 Apr 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:

> Any constructive comments welcome

Your hair looks very nice.

In reply to JohnnyW:
Looks very logical: possibly one of the shorter ways to do the traverse if you're returning to the base at Harris at the end.

I've not climbed Barkeval from this side but do not think it would be difficult. However I have done the traverse in that direction including an out-and-back to Barkeval at the start and a descent from Ruinsival to Harris at the end. An entertaining way to do that descent is to backtrack a bit east from Ruinsival summit to pick up a ridge that drops north (obvious on the map) into the Fiachanis corrie. Lower down on the ridge is some nice mid grade scrambling, which you obviously have to do in descent. Adds a wee bit more mountaineering ground to the day, but nothing you'd find taxing if you'd already happily done the scrambling sections direct on the main ridge
Post edited at 19:57
OP JohnnyW 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Jamie B:

Why Jamie, I didn't know you cared!
OP JohnnyW 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> Looks very logical: possibly one of the shorter ways to do the traverse if you're returning to the base at Harris at the end.

Thanks Dan, that's the idea.

> I've not climbed Barkeval from this side but do not think it would be difficult. However I have done the traverse in that direction including an out-and-back to Barkeval at the start and a descent from Ruinsival to Harris at the end. An entertaining way to do that descent is to backtrack a bit east from Ruinsival summit to pick up a ridge that drops north (obvious on the map) into the Fiachanis corrie. Lower down on the ridge is some nice mid grade scrambling, which you obviously have to do in descent. Adds a wee bit more mountaineering ground to the day, but nothing you'd find taxing if you'd already happily done the scrambling sections direct on the main ridge

I reckon by the end of the day, my group will just be happy to drop easily down to the tents The gap in the crags to the west looks the obvious choice, but I wondered about the north ridge.

Jamie B 19 Apr 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:

You asked for constructive...
OP JohnnyW 17 May 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:

I forgot to report back gents , had a really good traverse -

http://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/blog/2016-04-30-rum.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...