Graphics tablet for photo editing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Glyno 17 Apr 2016
I've recently acquired a Wacom graphics tablet and have used it for a couple of days in conjunction with PS and LR. To be honest, I'm not sure it's really any better than using a mouse. Maybe it's something that takes a little time to get to grips with? I was wondering if anyone here uses one and if it's worth persevering with?

Thanks,
Glyn
 richprideaux 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Glyno:

I use one, but in conjunction with a mouse. I tend to use the mouse for buttons and sliders in LR, then use the tablet for the Adjustment Brush and black/white layers.
 Phil West 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Glyno:

They make brushes, cloning, healing and selections a breeze. Mouse for most other tasks though.

Phil
OP Glyno 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Glyno:

Thanks Rich, Phil, that makes sense. I think I've been making the mistake of trying to use the pen for everything.
 Tom Last 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Glyno:

Keep going with it I'd say, for me using a mouse just feels impossible now. That said, who's to say I'm any quicker/better with a pad now than I was with a pen previously - I can't honestly remember.
 DaveHK 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Glyno:

'Graphics tablet for photo editing'

Is the answer 'phrases your gran wouldn't understand'?
 stp 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Glyno:

I think a lot will depend on what you're using it for. For fine detail work, drawing and retouching (dodge and burning) they're far better than if you're doing things that require less accuracy.

They do take getting used to. Mine wasn't a Wacom and wasn't quite as accurate as I would have liked. But still better than a mouse for certain tasks. There is also the fact that they are pressure sensitive. You have to set this in the PS brushes palette to use it and if that's useful then that's something you can't do with a mouse.

A final possible advantage is less problem with repetitive strain since it's more natural, well as natural as drawing with a pencil and paper at least.

But if you don't require the accuracy a mouse might be all you need.
 Fraser 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Glyno:
I user my Wacom for LR ... when I remember. Often I still use the mouse but for any degree of accuracy, you're definitely best of with a stylus and tablet. I find you can control sweeps and curves so much more easily with them, plus you have the pressure sensitivity as mentioned above. I have a 'pop out side menu' though where I adjust that, I don't have to go into PS.

Edited for typos.
Post edited at 20:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...