Crux single-skin tent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm looking for at new mountain tent and came across the Crux X1 range. They are made from a new fabric called X-tex, and I wonder if any one here has experience with it. They advertise it as being completely waterproof and with no problems with condensation. Too good to be true?
 ben b 13 Apr 2016
In reply to Sir Stefan:

Correct.

b
In reply to Sir Stefan:

So, is it not waterproof or does it suffer from condensation - or both?
How does the fabric compare to similar fabrics like ToddTex etc. ?
 ben b 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Sir Stefan:

I think there is very little to choose between the single skin fabrics. Because of physics mostly.

You need a concentration gradient to shift moisture vapour (despite some claims) so if the outside of the tent is wet or the atmosphere outside more humid then there is no (or reverse) breathability.

This makes small single skins viable at altitude (never humid) although when cold the dew point is inside the tent so frost feathers form.

Happy to be corrected if Crux have somehow managed to break the laws of thermodynamics

B
 Timmd 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Sir Stefan:

> So, is it not waterproof or does it suffer from condensation - or both?

> How does the fabric compare to similar fabrics like ToddTex etc. ?

I think he ment 'correct' re too good to be true.
In reply to ben b:

Yeah, physics rules and language sucks... I will have to rephrase my question (which I ask in this forum as Crux is British)

Some single skins are pretty waterproof and breathe poorly, some are merely windproof but breathe better. All suffer from condensation to varying degrees. However, some single skins have an inner surface which absorbs moisture preventing it from dripping down your face. If the temperature and outside humidity is in favor, the moisture will be conveyed to the outside by whatever mechanism the actual fabric supports. If not, it will stay on the inside, but not drip (so much).

ToddTex is a well known fabric, which does exactly this - it is fuzzy on the inside, and it breathes. Now, the X-tex has activated carbon on the inside which should manage moisture in a similar way.

Compared to similar fabrics,
1) How waterproof is X-tex?
2) How well does it breathe?
3) How well does it manage moisture, preventing from dripping?

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...