Hardshell Conundrum - Arc'T/ME/Jottnar = Gore v NeoShell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 j.anstee 12 Apr 2016
So my 10 year old ME Gore XCR jacket has just given up the ghost and I'm in the market for a new Hardshell. Things Ive seen and like are the Arc'T Alpha SV, ME Lhotse & Tupilak and finally the Jottnar Berglemir. I've used the new Gore Pro in my Arc'T ski hard-shell for few seasons now but event had much use of NeoShell so slightly hesitant on that front. Also there is a reasonable payment differential between these jackets and as ever is it worth the buck?

Things I do in the jacket will be usual hill walking, Scottish Winter, Summer Alpine and a Himalayan Exped (Ama Dablam, fall '17) with maybe some skiing in it too!

Thoughts and opinions on all or any of these jackets and the fabrics greatly received before I make a decision...

Thanks
 Adam_Turner 12 Apr 2016
In reply to j.anstee:

Gore! Personally I've never been dry when I've used NeoShell so don't use it at all anymore.

I have an ME Tupilak and Shivling at the moment. However I must say I've used the Lhotse in the UK and on exped in the Himalayas and it is the best fitting, most useable jacket I've tried so far.

I've never personally seen the justification in price difference with Arcteryx and I've never used the Jottnar kit.
 connor 13 Apr 2016
In reply to j.anstee:

I'd actually totally disagree with Adam, I have been using The Jottnar Hymir and Belgamir jackets for the last two years for work and play, dry as a bone and the best performing jackets I have ever used. And I spend a lot of time in a waterproof jacket. I have had a blast with the Rab neoshell gear and thought it was very leaky. Previous to using Jottnar I was using an arc'tryx Alpha Sv as my bad weather hardshell and found it iced up inside in winter and leaked in summer, with the breathability of the Jottnar stuff this doesn't happen. I should point out that the Hymir and Asmund jackets are made of a lighter weight shell fabric that allow the wind to get through, making them amazing for high output activities, winter climbing, ski touring, running, biking ETC. but if you are going to be out in high winds for a long period choose your mid layer carefully.

It is also interesting to note that Jottnar pay very close attention to client feedback and since 2013 the belgamir shell has changed every winter season, for the better, some of my colleagues are using the latest version and it's incredible actually seeing a brand listen to its users.

Just my two pence worth

Connor

connor 13 Apr 2016
In reply to j.anstee:

Oh and the colours on the Belgamir .....
 Neil Pratt 13 Apr 2016
In reply to j.anstee:

Having dabbled with Event and Neoshell over the last few years, I'm now firmly in the Gore Pro camp. I've been using an Arc'teryx Beta AR for the better part of the last 3 seasons, which is a mix of their N40 face fabric with N80 reinforcements - the Alpha SV is entirely N80. It's held up well in some seriously grotty weather, with nothing much more than some fading of the material on the lower back where my rucksack sits.

I've not tried Jottnar's stuff, but I have a Rab Neoshell jacket as a spare - can't speak for it's longevity, as I haven't used it a great deal, but it's been okay in terms of water resistance. It's definitely more draughty than the Gore Pro when the wind's blowing though.
OP j.anstee 14 Apr 2016
In reply to Neil Pratt:

Thanks for your comments and thoughts. It is interesting to see the difference in opinion on NeoShell, so must be a personal thing. But at the prices the Berglemir are at thats a risk!
 TobyA 14 Apr 2016
In reply to j.anstee:
I wrote the UKC Bergelmir review a few years back - I had one time where I had a slightly damp patch under one shoulder strap of rucksack after about two hours of walking in driving rain a few degrees above freezing, so hood up, cinched up etc. I don't know, Jottnar said they reckoned it sweat not getting out under the strap, I still felt it was maybe moisture pushed through by pressure from the strap. Otherwise, no leaking at all. Same for the Hymir and Asmund. Never had any leakage in the two Marmot NeoShell jackets I reviewed either.

Interestingly, and eVent jacket I reviewed for UKC 6 and a bit years ago http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2285 just started leaking on the shoulders. It has been used from time to time since then, but not heavily. It was fine before, but obviously with eVent at least age must do something to it. I wonder if NeoShell could be similar?
Post edited at 17:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...