vegetarian options for Hill and Hut?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gordonbp 07 Apr 2016
Looking for advice on vegetarian options both for hill food and in the Hut for main meals...
 WildCamper 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Gordonbp:

1st night you can take a portion of something frozen which should have defrosted by the time you stop for the day.

look in the supermarket for "Bean feast" freeze dried sachet meals

Noodles

Pesto & pasta

replace meat with dried soya granules in any meal.

veg curry

if i can think of any more ill pop back and post
 toad 07 Apr 2016
In reply to WildCamper:

It's quite telling that Bean Feast was the default veggie option in the 1980s. Have they changed significantly?
 Ramblin dave 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Gordonbp:

Hill food - erm, is there anything wrong with cheese and pickle sangers?

Huts - normally the simple and filling end of what I'd cook at home. Often pasta with veg and feta, but also cous cous with halloumi and veg, mushroom bourguignon with some nice bread, portobello mushroom burgers with sweet potato oven chips (or regular oven chips), veggie haggis with neaps and tatties (possibly roast rather than mashed), bean chilli, lentils rice and spiced veg...

I generally avoid meat substitutes because they're often designed to be "close enough" for someone who doesn't eat the real thing, but rather disappointing if you do but are cooking veggie on someone else's account.
 felt 07 Apr 2016
In reply to toad:

> default veggie option in the 1980s

Sosmix had its fans. Virtually impossible to get off your hands once you'd formed the little pink'uns.

Personally I'd go for real food and sod the weight. Veg, eggs, cheese, rice, rice noodles, maybe a tin of pulses, maybe lentils. Life's too short to eat freeze-dried/reconstitutable rubbish.
 CurlyStevo 07 Apr 2016
In reply to felt:

lentils are quite quick to cook so lighter dried. another option is to get them in those sachets
 Ramblin dave 07 Apr 2016
In reply to felt:

I'm slightly confused now. Are we talking about lightweight backpacking food for a multiday trip, or just stuff for a weekend staying in a hut and going out for day walks?
 toad 07 Apr 2016
In reply to felt:

> Personally I'd go for real food and sod the weight. Veg, eggs, cheese, rice, rice noodles, maybe a tin of pulses, maybe lentils. Life's too short to eat freeze-dried/reconstitutable rubbish.

Absobloominlutely!

SenzuBean 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Gordonbp:

Cook instant noodles or instant vegetable rice, dump in some falafels at the end, serve!. Would be nicer if you crisped the falafels up in the oven at home first, otherwise they get a bit sog - but super delicious.

I cooked one of my favourite soups, put it into a fat bottle - and then heated it up at the hut. Serve with bread + olive oil.

Clif bars. I have eaten the peanut butter flavour one almost every day for a 10 day trip and still wanted more at the end. Other flavours terrible IMO.
For the end of the day, the Builder bars (as a source of protein) cannot be beat. Simply delicious. Clif bars are all vegan.

H&B do their own range of flapjacks, vegan too. The chocolate one is very delicious - the nut and seed one is a bit bland.

Peanut butter sandwiches can't be beat either. Add jam to make it sweeter if you like.
 felt 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I'd take pretty much the same in both cases.
 Andy Say 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Gordonbp:
If you frequent shops like Home Bargains or B&M keep your eyes open for the odd offering of microwavable 'curries'. Common brands are 'Kohinoor' or 'Indi Grand' (though, looking at the packaging, I suspect it all comes from the same factory anyway!) at about 69p. They're all vegetarian. Lidl carried a range of Kohinoor stuff recently at 99p. You can boil in the bag (two minutes!) or empty into a pan and simmer. Some of them are a bit fiery though.

Coupled with a sachet of 'microwave rice' (again either boil in the bag or heat in a pan) for about 49p they make a decent meal especially if you dice in some fresh stuff for the 'crunch factor'.

The Kohinoor Dal Tadka was described by the current president of the BMC, Rehan Siddiqui, as 'really nice'
Post edited at 15:25
 Ramblin dave 07 Apr 2016
In reply to felt:
> I'd take pretty much the same in both cases.

Nah, if I'm on a multiday trip and not enjoying my evening meal because I haven't got enough tinned pulses and broccoli then I'm not working up enough of an appetite and should have planned longer days.

Fresh veg and tinned pulses seem particularly masochistic given that you're basically carting around a load of water...

On the other hand, there's no point pretending you're planning for a fast and light expedition if you're just driving up to a club hut for the weekend.
Post edited at 15:35
Moley 07 Apr 2016
In reply to WildCamper:

When on fishing trips or camping I sometimes cook (add water or heat up, the term "cooking" is a little pretentious for me) a sachet of instantant mash + big lump of butter and add a whole sachet of beanfeast on top.
I'm not vege, but that beanfeast stuff goes through my bowels like an express train in the morning. Once a trip is enough, but it's certainly worth having if you tend to get a bit clogged up down below!
 Caralynh 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Gordonbp:

Take some arborio rice, a stock cube, dried porcini mushrooms, some garlic or onion powder, herbs and grated parmesan, and you can cook up a great risotto for very very little weight.
 Phil Anderson 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

They've got a massive range of these in Bristol Sweetmart if you're in the area.

They're easy to cook, tasty, and massively calorific. Only downside (as you say) is that a few of them are face-rippingly hot.
 girlymonkey 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Gordonbp:

I am not veggie, and normally would avoid any fake meat like the plague (I will happily eat proper veggie food, don't need meat!), but for lightweight hill food, I find you can't beat soya mince! It really weighs nothing, and plenty of protein to keep you going. I usually add something like curry powder to it to give it a flavour and then have it with smash or couscous.
 felt 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I might drain the pulses, yes, despite the potential for that going wrong. Veg is veg, however, and that's the payoff for the water content. As McLewin says, nothing can beat a nice onion.

That said, I think obsessive weight avoidance is like any other obsession and to be dismissed in principle -- it's all good exercise! -- although I'm nothing on my mate, who's a sort of antiBob in this regard. On an alpine trip, cols etc, not snow, he'll pack into a bottomless sac a couple of 2l bottles of cider, several bottles of local beer, spirits if he can stretch to that, a loaf or two of dense German bread, some rocks he'll have picked up on the way that "look interesting", binoculars that he may or may not use, cameras and lenses, a selection of books, in fact all sorts of curios will emerge over the course of a trip.

Latterly, a camping trip with a walk in of an hour or two might see us each carry two full rucksacks all the way, mainly containing food and drink (I don't drink), although I'll typically arrive well after him in the dark and so haven't quite seen his arrangements.
OP Gordonbp 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave: I should have been a bit clearer - it's for weekends in huts and day trips from same! Also I'm new to vegetarianism...😀

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...