Apps for photo editing on tablet or Smartphone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone_donkey 03 Apr 2016
Hi,
I'm looking for an app to use on my iPad for editing images taken on my iPhone or iPad. Snapseed is one I've heard of - does anyone have any experience of this or any other recommendations? I'm a Lightroom user for all images taken with my DSLR, but would like something (simpler) to handle the iphone images which I'd like to start taking more of, since it's a camera I have with me most of the time (unlike my DSLR...)
In reply to Stone_donkey:

I think Snapseed is the answer. It isn't quite light room but it is really powerful crucially allowing local editing. Its not an organiser like lightroom but it is a good editor.

When you open snapseed it takes you through how to use each feature as you try them
 Dauphin 04 Apr 2016

Lightroom on android is pretty good these days as is VSCO. Better have a top end phone if you want to play with RAW in Lightroom though.

D
OP Stone_donkey 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

Yup, I don't even know if my iPhone takes RAW - I'll just be handling jpegs so don't anticipate I need the power of LR. I haven't decided whether I'm going to try and combine pics I take with the iPhone with my SLR images, all nicely catalogued in LR. I suspect not - I think all the iPhone/iPad images will just live in iCloud with whatever local editing on the same device is required beforehand. Out of interest if I have a Windows PC LR license do I need to pay again for LR on iOS (if they have such a product?), or is that free just for CC users (which i'm not)
 Dark-Cloud 04 Apr 2016
Mobile version or LR is fine with JPEG on an iPad Mini 2, its a free App but can be linked to LR desktop for money, i haven't bothered.
Post edited at 11:33
 HeMa 04 Apr 2016

VSCO Cam...

Added bonus is a nice platform to publish content (pics or blogs).

I use it to "quickly" round up photos or blogs. Proper editing will be done on a proper comp with Lightroom.

But VSCO Cam is more than enough for "on the run" photoediting.

Eg. I hacked this, whilst flying home on the plane.
http://vsco.co/hematula/journal/easter-in-catalonia

And in fact, I used pics from the 2 cameras we had with us (plus from the phone). Not that hard with SD-reader for the iPad.
 Dauphin 04 Apr 2016

It does do RAW now - but not through the Apple Camera App. Thought you had to be a CC subscriber to get all that 'extra (?)' benefit of LR on the mobile platform, but you better check.

D
 HeMa 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

> It does do RAW now

Nope, still only editing the embedded JPEG...

https://helpx.adobe.com/mobile-apps/help/lightroom-mobile-faq.html

which is odd, considering the VSCOCam and a few other apps actually edit RAW photos (provided you can get 'em to your iOS platform... like FileBrowser and WD My Passport Wireless).
 Dauphin 04 Apr 2016
In reply to HeMa:
I meant you can get the iphone 6 to shoot RAW DNG.

I'm using Manual Camera on Android 6.1. LR recognizes the app folder and let me edit these DNG files. The new version of LR on Android has a camera as a part of the app which also shoots DNG. Its a dog compared to Manual Camera so I never use it.

>How can I tell if my Android device supports capturing in the DNG raw file format?
>Beginning with version 2.0, Lightroom for mobile supports DNG raw image capture on devices running Android >versions 5.0 (Lollipop) and later. However, this capability is available only on those devices that support >capturing DNG raw images. Support for DNG capture is enabled/set solely by the device manufacturers.

>To check if your device supports DNG capture:

>First ensure that your device is running Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or later and that you have Lightroom for mobile >2.0 installed.

>Open the Lightroom in-app camera and check for the file format badge at the bottom-right of the viewfinder, >which defaults to JPEG.
>If available, you can tap on the file format badge to switch between the JPEG and Raw options, which captures >the images in DNG raw format.
>If you do not see the badge, you may wish to contact your device£s manufacturer to request that they add >support for DNG raw capture.

D
Post edited at 13:00
 Si Withington 04 Apr 2016

Snapseed and Photogene2 both work well on iOS
 olliehales 12 Apr 2016

Another vouch for snapseed, brill app.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...