B3 boots on Diamir bindings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Misha 27 Mar 2016
Interested in people's experience of using B3 boots on Diamir or similar bindings. Do they tend to come off easily? Do you have to increase the DIN? The boots are Scarpa Phantoms, so fairly decent support but of course nothing like a ski boot, so will need to take it easy. Just interested to hear whether it's a total pain and not worth bothering. Practical use would be for technical Alpine routes with gentle ski in/out approaches, where climbing boots would be better than ski boots for doing the actual climbing.
In reply to Misha:
I tried this some time ago (I think about 5 yrs ago in Scarpa Freney XT and Fritschi Titnal III bindings) and would not do it again by choice.

All felt a bit like an accident waiting to happen to be honest as I had to really crank up the DIN, even the slightest boot flex would cause it to come out. Turning was OK but I was on very easy angled snow and being super cautious.

On the other hand when I attached some 99cm blades on non releasable bindings to to B3s that was super fun and felt OK. But did not have the ability to walk so kind of defeated the object

My conclusion was that climbing in ski boots is better than skiing in climbing boots.

Disclaimer: I am a self taught skier. Can get down most things but it ain't pretty
Post edited at 09:01
 Sammo 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Misha:

If you haven't seen it already, parts of this recent discussion might be relevant:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=637429
 kevin stephens 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Misha: I think the benefits in energy and time saving not to mention safety through using skis and purpose designed ski touring boots make it well worth while carrying your climbing boots in or on your pack, stash the ski boots with your skis while you climb

Jack Geldard 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Misha:

> Do they tend to come off easily?

Yes, it doesn't really work unfortunately. Silvretta 400s, 404s, 500s or Emery Chronos are the bindings that work the best with climbing boots.

Cheers,

Jack

smithaldo 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Misha: I would say 2kg extra in your pack when skiing creates much less extra difficulty to skiing than using climbing boots to ski.

Unless you are of course a really really good skier and have lots of time to practice actually doing it.

Thinking about it, The only real use I could think of for skiing in climbing boots would be if you were going up and over somewhere with a flat approach and flat home run. Other than that just carry boots in pack?

OP Misha 28 Mar 2016

Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested in trying it out (preferably on a piste), out of interest as much as anything else.

For a climb up, ab down route, it's easy enough to leave stuff at the bottom (although I might need a bigger pick to carry the B3s). For bigger routes where you come down a different way, this could be handy but there aren't that many of those routes anyway. As people have said, climbing jn ski boots aid probably a better idea. Also, apparently Arcteryx are bringing out a combo boot.

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/uk-exclusive-fall-line-tests-the-new-arcteryx-sk...
Post edited at 18:02
 Gael Force 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Misha:

I used to ski with Silveretta bindings and plastic climbing boots, and didn't have any issues but have skied since childhood. You do see quite a few in Europe doing it, not sure what binding they use.
 smithaldo 30 Mar 2016
In reply to Misha:

I'm trying to think of routes where this might be better but honestly can't easily think of any, especially as you would need to climb with your skis (or haul them somehow?).

If you have to do that, then surely the level would be such that you would be fine climbing in your touring boots? Especially something like the Dynafit TLT series or the new Scarpa stuff.

To be fair, ten years ago (or maybe even 5) this question was much more pertinent, as it was a much bigger differential between climbing/ski touring boots as now ski boots are so much better for climbing in, especially as ski mo races have taken off and the technology tricles down. So arguably, there really is no need (in the alps, rather than alaska) to ski at all in climbing boots.

For instance, the lads who did the walker recently (and some polish dudes who went to try the colton mac the same day) left their skis at the bottom to pick up later (or get someone to skin up with you and take them down), and that's exactly the type of situation you speak of.
OP Misha 30 Mar 2016
In reply to smithaldo:
Fair points. I guess it's useful anywhere where you ski in and out and the climbing is sufficiently technical. But it seems that the additional bother of skiing down in climbing boots may well outweigh the benefit of not having to carry in climbing boots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...