Best of Southern Snowdonia?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oujmik 27 Mar 2016
I'm a massive fan of Snowdonia and have been many times but have always gravitated to the North, particularly the Glyderau and Snowdon. We keep thinking that we should visit the South, if nothing else just to tick off Cadair Idris and this year we might finally get around to it.

My question is, what are the 'must-does' of the Southern area for someone with a preference for striking lines and some mountaineering ability (happy on most scrambling ground and climbing up to VDiff or so). I know it's not a climbing hotbed like the North, but I'm sure there's plenty to go at even if it's just airy walking. On the list so far are just Cadair Idris by the Minffordd Path and again by the Cyfrwy Arete + Table Direct and perhaps a wlk on the Aran ridge and maybe something in the Rhinogs...
 Dave Williams 27 Mar 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

Cadair Idris by the two routes mentioned will be very worthwhile. The Minffordd path may be quite busy in good weather, while Cyfrwy Arete is also popular and may feel harder than graded in less than perfect conditions. You may wish to have a respite from the crowds on the Minffordd path by doing a grade 3 scramble on Tapiau Llwydion above Llyn Cau. See: http://www.summitpost.org/route/395231/Tapia-Llwydion.html and http://www.ukscrambles.com/wales-scrambles/cadair-idris-scrambles/

If transport can be arranged, then a traverse of the whole Aran ridge from Cwm Cywarch to Llanuwchlyn (or vice versa) is a great day out.

The Rhinogydd generally provide the roughest and toughest walking in Wales, especially suitable - and rewarding - for those who enjoy long mountain days. Starting and finishing at Cilycwm to the west, an ascent of both Rhinog Fach and Rhinog Fawr on the same day will be the highlights of a surprisingly demanding and rarely undertaken anti-clockwise circuit of Cwm Nantcol. Failing that, both mountains will provide a good walk in their own right. In good weather this is a very fine place to be; a mysterious and less travelled land where an absence of crowds is virtually guaranteed. For some, like me, this is tantamount to perfection.
In reply to Oujmik:

The only other hill I can remember (I've done most of them in Wales) is Arenig Fawr - this might be because of the temperature inversion on the day. See if anyone else is willing to comment before adding it to your list.

If you want something a bit different try Tywyn to Machynlleth on the (claimed ancient capitol of Wales) on the 'coast path'. A bit of beach to Aberdovey then a stroll up (250m height) along pleasant tracks/footpaths up above the Dovey Valley with extensive views.
 Iain Thow 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

If you're in the Rhinogs the South Ridge of Rhinog Fach is an excellent scramble if you avoid the obviously hard bits (Severe if you take everything direct). There are loads of "play around" scrambles nearby too. On Cader Cyfrwy Arete is the classic (a bit loose in places) and the route on the north side of Llyn Cau is fun, as is the top part of North Arete on Mynydd Moel.
Have fun,

Iain
 GerM 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

It depends what you mean by VDiff or so, but if the weather is good and Rhinog Fach is on the agenda, the South Ridge is an interesting way up there. I would say it does warrant the Severe grade, but much of the route is much easier than this, and difficulties come in short steps. A fine mountaineering outing, finishing a stone's throw from the summit of Rhinog Fach. If you are happy enough with the grade, and used to operating in a mountain environment, give it a shot. More a route of aesthetic merit, than consistent climbing quality, but beautifully textured rock and a fine situation makes for a quality day out. Apparently the first recorded climb in the Rhinogydd.

http://www.summitpost.org/south-ridge/927497

The South Ridge (S)
 GerM 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

I see someone else beat me to it...
 Iain Thow 28 Mar 2016
In reply to GerM:

Lovely isn't it, and in a stunning place.
 Babika 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

Will o' the Wisp is the Classic Rock VDiff and well worth doing if you fancy 4 pitches of fun.

I did it in 2014 and it was a really enjoyable day apart from cartwheeling (literally) head over heels through the fern on the steep descent when I didn't realise I was about to tread on thin air. The zig zag approach rather than the direct is less exhausting when the vegetation is fully grown
In reply to Oujmik:

Defo Rhinogs. One of the best days out I've ever had. Amazingly, we didnt see another soul on a late spring and clear blue sky day.

My profile pic is me at the Fawr summit.
 Mike Peacock 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Dave Williams:

I'd second Tapiau Llwydion; it's a really interesting scramble, and the difficulty can be varied to suit.

I'd also suggest a visit to the high Arans. A round of Cwm Cywarch is the obvious route: Glasgwm, Aran Fawddwy, Drosgol and Pen yr Allt Uchaf is a good walk.

Some of the lower hills in the area are also interesting. The Tarrens, low Arans (Esgeiriau Gwynion etc) and the Dovey Hills (Maesglase and friends) all have their charms and lots of solitude.
 Mike Peacock 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

What's the north ridge of Mynydd Moel like? I've peered down from above and it looks interesting, but hard to see how vertical it gets from above. It's been on my list of things to explore for years now.
 Iain Thow 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Been a while since I did it, but remember enjoying it. I think I skipped the bottom bit and came in from the right, a few bits of about Diff but mainly scrambling.
 Iain Thow 30 Mar 2016
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Had a look in my diary and it seems I did do the whole route, although I have no memory of the bottom bit (it was 30 years ago). My mental picture of "coming in from the right" must be from avoiding the steep section above the pinnacle, which apparently I dodged by scrambling on the right, as referred to in the guidebook description. I remember it as a bit loose but still good fun, harder than the Grade 1 it gets in the UKC database, bits of Diff (its guidebook grade at the time) but still mainly scrambling. Enjoy it.

Iain
 Mike Peacock 30 Mar 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Thanks very much for the info Iain. I might take a look at it next time I'm over that way.
OP Oujmik 30 Mar 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

Thanks all, some interesting stuff to be going at there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...