Difference between walking and skiing poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam W 21 Mar 2016
Need some touring poles, and also coming round to the idea of walking poles after many years of avoiding them, preferring instead to just have sore knees.

How much difference is there between skiing and walking poles? Obviously would rather just have one set if possible.
 DaveHK 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Sam W:

You want a bigger basket on a ski pole and a walking pole often folds down smaller than some designed mainly for skiing. However, for the last 5 years or so I've used Black Diamond Expedition poles for everything.
 HeMa 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Sam W:

> How much difference is there between skiing and walking poles? Obviously would rather just have one set if possible.

If talking about adjustable poles, then the difference is generally the basket and perhaps the spike.

Depending on what you're after and what kind of skiing you're doing... well, one pair of poles might be good (mellow touring, don't fall and all that). Something like BD Traverse is cheap, robust and not a bad pole... just a tad long (even when collapsed).

My idea is to use cheap flicklock (eg. the Traverse) when ski touring, so that when I take a nosedive and bend the pole I'm not too angry (actually the Traverse is expensive for this... I generally bargain hunt and often get a pair or two for 20 Eur or so). And for skiing from the lifts, well the cheapest alu-poles I can find (usually 10-15 Eur per pair).

And for hinking (and climbing approach) I have these nice really small poles, a'la the BD Distance Z flicklock. They pack small enough to stuff in the climbing sack and due to the construction they're still a bit more robust than 3 or 4 part flicklock poles (eg. the Expedition).
 Snowdave 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Sam W:

If comparing adjustable ski poles & walking poles from the same manufacture:- longer tip & snow basket & generally upto 150cm total length).

I have several pairs of Leki, one very old set of ski/avi poles 3 section, one new set two section ski, one new set 3 section ski.

Two section as stronger if you do not require to collapse them & fit to rucsac. If I am climbing in the day I take my 3 section even skiing as I might do a ski into an easy gully, climb up with skis on rucsac, & tour/ski off from top.

I get mine from here as nobody in UK does the ones I wanted!!

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/ski-poles/

DaveHK 21 Mar 2016
In reply to HeMa:

Guy comes on asking for one pair of poles for everything and you recommend 4 pairs!
 Snowdave 21 Mar 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> Guy comes on asking for one pair of poles for everything and you recommend 4 pairs!

hehe..

Ok then on the spot, solid three section which can take the abuse with a good flick lock, long tip & snow basket. Also want a good all year grip, & shaft grip for side-hilling/traversing.

https://www.bergzeit.co.uk/leki-aergon-3-tour-poles-001/?gclid=CJrz7bXf0ssC...

Be careful as there are speedlock version 1 & speedlock version 2 lock mechs out there for the same pole. The version 2 has a closer neater flip fab.
 OwenM 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Sam W:

The baskets screw off, small ones for summer walking and big ones for winter skiing, get second-hand poles off here or fleybay.
 HeMa 22 Mar 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Hey,

I did say that depending on what he does a single pair of moderate robust (ski) touring poles a'la the Travers might be the pole of one for him/her.

It depends on the use.

No one in their right mind would take a Lada to F1 race.
 galpinos 22 Mar 2016
In reply to Sam W:

Personally, I'd want something totally different for walking compared to skiing so which are you doing most of and pick that one.

Skiing - I have the BD Traverse like HeMa. Having snapped Komperfell and Leki poles previously I wanted something simple, robust and relatively cheap. There's no need for an adjustable pole ski touring as if your poles are on your sac, so are your skis so the length is not an issue. I do like longer poles on the up than the down though, hence I got the Traverse.

Walking - I'd want some of those z poles. Light, super compact and the joints look less prone to failing.
 top cat 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Sam W:

I use ski poles all year [well, not just now as they have given me severe tennis elbows!] and use a standard ski basket in summer for the bogs, and powder basket for ski touring.

I've just got some s/h Pacer poles to try; they may help the elbows??? In which case I won't be using ski poles all year !!
 Chris Harris 23 Mar 2016
In reply to HeMa:

> No one in their right mind would take a Lada to F1 race.

I initially read that as Lauda & thought "Why not?"

In reply to Chris Harris:

ski poles can be longer therefore fewer pieces as they will still be shorter than skis.
less pieces will always be stronger.
I use my ski poles all year when carrying loads (a toddler)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...