rab quantum sleeping bag no longer as warm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mastermiaow 17 Mar 2016
Hi

Just returned from a few days in the Peak District and noticed that my 10 year old Rab Quantum (duck/goose down) with pertex outer is not as warm as it used to be. Was cold in and temps were just above freezing. Just had it cleaned for the third time by Franklins in Sheffield so I am wondering what my options are. I checked the Rab website and they do cleaning and repair but the bag is not ripped or anything. Over the years its lost a few feathers so was wondering if that's the problem. Just wondering what my options are...

Many thanks for any advice.

Matthew
 dollydog 17 Mar 2016
In reply to mastermiaow:

you can add new filling at a cost
 ebdon 17 Mar 2016
In reply to mastermiaow:

I thought franklins closed a while back? Id be intrested to know if they were open again as there doesn't seem to be many companies who clean down products.
 ebdon 17 Mar 2016
In reply to RBK:
In the Sheffield are I mean, I used to be able to drop stuff off at the old franklins office and save on postage. Now I just make do with minging down
 leon 1 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ebdon:
Youll have to risk Rotherham
http://www.elitecleaningandaftercare.co.uk/
Bought all Franklins machines etc and basically took over the business
Post edited at 16:58
 Dave Todd 17 Mar 2016
In reply to mastermiaow:
As far as I know Franklin's closed in Dec 2012, interested to hear if you know different (I'm also making do with grubby down!).

Anyway, this link...

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/alpkit-bag-and-franklins-sheffielda...

...includes a post from someone who returned a bag to RAB for a bit of maintenance and a top-up. I know the post is from a few years back (2008) but probably worth contacting them (RAB).
Post edited at 16:56
 Guy Hurst 17 Mar 2016
In reply to mastermiaow:

Mountaineering Designs (link given above) will add extra down to a bag, and also do cleaning. Same goes for Scottish Mountain Gear. Both are reliable ime.
Ysgo 18 Mar 2016
In reply to mastermiaow:

Well assuming that your sleeping mat hadn't deflated, and you weren't ill, or undernourished, I'd guess that you've lost some down, or lost some loft from the down you've got. Either way, I'd email Rab and ask if they could take a look, and refill it and/or wash it for you. Last time I checked they had washing machines on site, plus they can either add extra down, or totally replace the down with new. If it's been stored well for 10 years, maybe just a top up would suffice, but if it's been stored compressed then replace the down for new bouncy lofty down.

IMO
 JayPee630 18 Mar 2016
In reply to mastermiaow:

Sounds just as likely that you were a bit under par - maybe just had a low key illness that you weren't aware off, or not quite enough food that day or something similar.

Judging the loss of insulation from one night isn't very reliable. Although ten years if stored badly might have effected the down. When did you last use the bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...