Recommend me a rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bigblue22 12 Mar 2016
Hi

Need some rucksack advice, will be used for day climbing, large enough to carry all my gear, rope, harness, shoes and hardware etc.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
 BnB 12 Mar 2016
In reply to bigblue22:
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=635245&v=1#x8242816

As ever with UKC gear threads, the answers are nearer the front than the back. And in this case you may only need to read the title
Post edited at 10:05
In reply to BnB:

I'd say that thread answered a different question as I think that this isn't about a rucsac to carry on a route

I think a 30-35 litre bag is quite a handy size for loads of things including cragging. But if its really a day at the crag particularly on a mountain then it can be a bit small and a 45-50 bag can work better. But that might be too big some of the time. Other variable are whether you plan to carry rope(s) inside it and whether you imagine walking in with a half a rack and your partner with the other half or you think you'll want to take everything you own.

I own a very old Macpac Pursuite which is nothing like the current one and 45 litres. I also own a Montan Medusa 32 which I mainly bought for shopping. But its a great climbers bag as well. Personally I don't like frames to create and air space. But I think it hard to beat browsing in a shop. You could even try taking your rack spare cloths and trying them in a bag
 BnB 12 Mar 2016
In reply to Ampthill:

You might be right there. Maybe the OP will be along to clarify. Although for carrying gear ten minutes from car to the foot of most Peak classics, an IKEA carry bag is not a lot less useful than £100 worth of Lowe Mountain Attack, which is what I use 'cos I like the compartments to separate pro, insulation, guidebooks, chalkbag, food and accessories.
In reply to bigblue22:

You need to go to a shop and try a few on. Rucksacks are like clothes; what fits me may not fit you. You need to see if the straps and waist belt are in the right place for your frame so that the weight is carried on your hips rather than your shoulders, so when you've narrowed the field down a bit start putting some weight in the sack to check that it's still comfy.

But as previous comments have said, what works for a ten minute stroll from the car to Stanage isn't necessarily what will work for mountain routes you climb while wearing your 'sack. That's not to say you can't do it of course, just that it won't be ideal.

T.
In reply to bigblue22:

personally i like the lowe alpine stuff. I have 2 of their sacks with my favourite being my Peak Attack (its 18 months of graft has barely touched it). but as they say try some different packs and see what feels right for you.

i also find that a 40-45 litre pack is my go-to size, the extra space is useful if you are doing long days with big approaches or are interested in doing any winter stuff. just make sure it has decent compression straps for when you are climbing.
 Fraser 12 Mar 2016
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

Agreed about the Lowe Alpine kit. I have a Alpine Attack 45-55 and it's the biz. Size-wise it's spot on for day cragging and carrying some camera kit too. I think 40-45L would do fine if I didn't need the additional camera space.
 GridNorth 12 Mar 2016
In reply to bigblue22:

I have different packs depending on the situation. For cragging/sport the Mammut Neon 45 takes some beating IMO as the inside is accessible from the top or the back panel and includes a rope tarp. I find this easy access very useful but for mountain routes I have a Millet Prolight 35 litre which is a top loader.

Al
 olddirtydoggy 12 Mar 2016
In reply to bigblue22:

I use a Montane Torque 40 and I love it. It's a one size fits all bomber pack and the back support is a simple stiff foam one. Classic design, no fuss and hard wearing and does everything.
 Pawthos 12 Mar 2016
In reply to bigblue22:

I love my Mountain Hardware Hueco 28 - big enough for a day out, and comfy to climb in. Best rucksack I ever had.
 ChrisNaylor 12 Mar 2016
In reply to bigblue22:

I swear by the Crux 'sacks; simple, no nonsense and tough as old boots!

Needle sports stock them if you want to try one on else you can get them direct from Crux!

The AK-37 is great for cragging, although a tad small if you want to take all your gear plus the kitchen sink to the crag. On the other hand it's great for high mountain crags if you split the gear with your partner.

I use the 47 for wild camps and can fit enough in for 3 nights if taking boil in the bag meals! They're both equally comfortable when climbing although the the smaller one is a more favourable size I'd say.

They're properly waterproof and have kept my cameras dry when out in some right hoolies!

Just my opinion, but hopefully of some use!
 sdavies141 13 Mar 2016
In reply to ChrisNaylor:
Crux ak47 is my main bag it's awesome best lack I have ever owned. Knocking on 10 years old and still spot on.
 slab_happy 13 Mar 2016
In reply to bigblue22:

http://www.joe-brown.com/10032/products/climbing-technology-falesia-climbin...

This has served me well for days at the crag. Not too expensive, carries a lot of stuff, easy to access said stuff, does the job. Downside: I imagine you'd probably want more back support for longer hikes.
 John Hunt 13 Mar 2016
In reply to bigblue22:

Loving the decathlon stuff at the moment.

Bought an ultra light weight one on special, thinking it would be good for a season but it has lasted well and has a lifetime guarantee. Also have a really cheap 30L job which is the best small sack I've ever had and it was peanuts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...