Montane alpine stretch trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alecraeside 10 Mar 2016
Has anyone tested/ got a pair of Montane alpine stretch trousers ?

I'm looking for a decent pair of mountaineering/ walking/ scrambling trousers. Any suggestions?

ME Ibex?
 Adam_Turner 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Alecraeside:

Me and a lot of my colleagues wear the Montane Terra pant. They're not truly a softshell pant, but work in the same way. They are really comfortable, really light, breathable and dry quickly. I'll wear them for anything in the spring/summer/autumn in the UK hills, overseas trek-ins to mountains and general outdoors stuff.

Probably couldn't recommend anything better in that category!
 kestrelspl 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Alecraeside:

I use ME Ibex for all the activities you list and they are fantastic. Good venting pockets, very durable and a good fit that is flexible but not at all baggy.

However, I also have a Montane Alpine stretch softshell jacket and that's great too, so if the trousers are similar they'd be a good bet too.
 tehmarks 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Alecraeside:

I recently bought a pair of Norrona falketind flex1 trousers to replace my last trousers which I stabbed to death with my first attempt at crampons, and so far I've been very impressed. Haven't had them long enough to see how they'll hold up against abrasion while climbing, but so far so good.

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/Products/3321-14/7718/falketind-flex1-pants-m...
Alecraeside 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Alecraeside:

Thanks guys- really helpful!

So would I be right in concluding that if I want a lighter/ summer pair of trousers then I should go for the Montane whereas the ME is aimed more towards winter?

I'm trying to find the middle ground pair of trousers
 Mr Trebus 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Alecraeside:

I wear my Ibex for everything but winter. I have black and also a tan pair for when it is hot out.

If I could, I would live in mine.

Al
 galpinos 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Alecraeside:

I wear the superlight ME Comici to climb in. Nice slim fit, good cut and very stretchy.

Martin Bennett 10 Mar 2016
In reply to galpinos:

How do you find the sizing of the ME Comici trous? I can't find 'em locally so will have to mail order - I'm about a 33" waist so unsure whether 32 or 34 will be best. I've just gone from 32 to 34 in the Ibex.
 olddirtydoggy 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Alecraeside:

+ for the Montane Terra's. Only problem I've had is the durability as they are very thin but great all rounders assuming you're not waist deep in snow. Terra's roll up the legs into shorts.
 afshapes 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Alecraeside:

So I've had my montane terra trousers for 16 years and they are still going strong but they are thin so I bought the alpine stretch version this year. They are slightly thicker and warmer. So far I've worn them indoors climbing and found them too hot for that. I went for a walk last weekend on the beacons in snow and howling wind and I must say they were damn good. I recon with some leggings underneath they'd be good for some winter climbing. Albeit in dry weather, that said we walked through a pretty heavy down pour of snow sleet and hail and they coped with that.
 galpinos 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Martin Bennett:

I've got the 34s (just checked). They are slim fitting but stretchy and fit my fat a**e in them ok. I would say I'm a 33" waist too....
 Martin Bennett 11 Mar 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> I've got the 34s (just checked). They are slim fitting but stretchy and fit my fat a**e in them ok. I would say I'm a 33" waist too....

Thanks for helpful reply. And they don't fall down? trouble with some of my trous at present is they're fine with harness on but constantly hitching 'em up on approach walks!
 More-On 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Alecraeside:

Rab Sawtooth?
A good all round trouser for climbing, scrambling, backpacking etc.
Light enough for summer, but add leggings and they cope with winter very well.
I also like the twin thigh pockets, which still work with a harness on.
 galpinos 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Not that I've noticed. I do wear a webbing belt with them though?

Dark-Cloud 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Alecraeside:

I use the North Face Descendit (crap name) for ski touring, climbing etc, built in gaiters, side vent zips, braces, i like them ....
Alecraeside 12 Mar 2016
In reply to afshapes:
So would you say the alpine stretch would be good for year long use in Scotland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...