fell running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
OP malk 16 Mar 2016
In reply to malk:

bump for Billy Bland- why has noone broken his BG record after all these years? presumably the paths have become easier since then?
 Roadrunner5 16 Mar 2016
In reply to malk:
> bump for Billy Bland- why has noone broken his BG record after all these years? presumably the paths have become easier since then?

Some say not. In Snowdonia they reckon the paths have got more technical (more largely stones used), but the main issue was much greater grazing pressure a few decades back, so the hillsides were much easier running. The Peris in Snowdonia is said to be slower because of this; especially descending to PyP.

Also very few have gone for it.

I'd love to see Killian go for it to show just how good Billy was.
Post edited at 16:28
Moley 16 Mar 2016
In reply to malk:

> bump for Billy Bland- why has noone broken his BG record after all these years? presumably the paths have become easier since then?

I think there are a number of reasons (as above), but it should have been broken by now, despite it being so exceptional.
How many runners have really attacked that record?
I think psychologically many think it is beyond them and are probably content going for a fast time (sub xx hours) rather than 100% for record or bust. There are also so many other races and competitions around Europe, carrying prestige, sponsorship and money. Who will give up months of competing (thinking very top UK distance runners) to train specifically for the BG, set a date, everything in place and it's pissing down with rain! Such a lottery unless you are a local and can go at short notice.
I would love to see some serious attempts, bit like the Welsh 3000s, nobody going for it.
iusedtoclimb 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Moley:

I reckon Ricky L could give it a go
 lummox 18 Mar 2016
In reply to malk:

Kenny Stuart's record for Ben Nevis still stands.. as do a number of others.
 Roadrunner5 19 Mar 2016
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

> I reckon Ricky L could give it a go

Has he got near any of Billy's records?

Obviously Ricky is about the best there is at the moment but I'm not sure he could get that.

Roadrunner5 19 Mar 2016
In reply to lummox:

His snowdon race record won't go. The course has changed now, slightly longer and also it used to be a faster surface. It's getting to the point that there should be a new record.
 Roadrunner5 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Loving the disliked post..

DaveHK 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Loving the disliked post..

I noticed that. There's some weird folk out there.
andymac 20 Mar 2016
In reply to lummox:

Kenny Stuart's time was pretty special.

Although there are supposedly slight changes to the course ,and with no disrespect to Finlay and co. ,it will probably take a professional,full time runner to beat Kenny's time.

One of the Brownlies perhaps.

1 hour 25 .Jeeez

Padraig 20 Mar 2016
In reply to malk:

BB memories....many moons ago..

1. Ennerdale or Wasdale horseshoe, 300 mtrs from the start a marshall hadn't turned up to open a gate. Billy duly obliged by opening it and holding it open until last runner had gone through. He then closed it, and starting from the back won ..at a canter.
2. Wasdale, nice day, Mrs. walked up to see me through about half way/3/4 way round. She said afterwards the first runner stopped for a chat and had a can of rice pudding from a friend before proceeding. She said at the time she doubted he was the first runner as he wasn't even outta breath.
Removed User 20 Mar 2016
In reply to Padraig:

Once finished in front of Joss Naylor at Emmerdale. He was recovering from injury at the time. Plus he'd jogged over from his farm in Wasdale. But hey, I'm counting it
 Roadrunner5 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

They all count.. no comments on the results..
 Roadrunner5 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5: this may be the biggest news story to hit the sport.. Shocked

lummox 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

what ??
 Roadrunner5 24 Mar 2016
In reply to lummox:
I hope or isn't true, she's a friend of mine but as its in the press so clearly I assumed it was common knowledge..

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-35886697
Post edited at 11:46
Moley 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Flippin heck, that's awfull, she's a local girl and been on the fell running scene for a few years.
Wonder what was behind it, personal stuff I guess, sad.
 Roadrunner5 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Moley:

> Flippin heck, that's awfull, she's a local girl and been on the fell running scene for a few years.

> Wonder what was behind it, personal stuff I guess, sad.

Aye, I knew her fairly well as we lived close by, she ran for Eryri but only once I'd moved abroad.

shocked..
 Roadrunner5 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Moley:
It's all over Facebook and the alleged reason behind it has been stated by one of the Normans. If true she was troubled and struggled.
Post edited at 12:50
Removed User 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Heck, photos show her in Todmorden Harriers vest, my old club.
 Roadrunner5 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger: yeah she was tod harriers for years before she moved to Aber way and then ran for them but more recently also ran for Eryri

For a few years she dominated fell running but also raced abroad a lot and also a few road marathons.

To be honest I always found her very friendly and very helpful when I was looking for races in Europe.

The New NickB 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

It seems odd, if there is any truth to the allegations / gossip that Andy Norman mentions, it could be quickly proved and the information would be public.

That said, I can't imagine what it would feel like to have that sort of allegation made against you.

Interesting times, fell running is a very small community and she was involved at committee level for a while, although not currently.
 Roadrunner5 24 Mar 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

I'm surprised that's come out as people were warned long ago to not talk about it but it's all over Facebook now.

Sad for her, no doubt it will all come out soon. There's a witness talking on Facebook and it sounded horrific and lucky the guy survived.

If it is what they are speculating I think this issue should have been dealt with a long time ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...