Julian Alps - Winter Routes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
aeroj 07 Mar 2016
Heading out to the Slovenian Julian Alps in two weeks time... First time out there in winter having been in summer previously.

Will be spending a couple of days ascending Triglav, after which we have a couple of spare days.

Any recommendations for some 1-day mountaineering routes in the same area...? Something equivalent to Scottish grade I/II and leading to a summit would be ideal.

One option I spotted on the map was the ridgeline behind the Vogel ski resort - has anyone done that? It looks like you can "cheat" and get the lift part way up?
 d_b 10 Mar 2016
In reply to aeroj:

Disclaimer: I haven't been to the Julians in winter, but have been there when there is a lot of snow around in spring so treat with caution.

If you can get to Vrsic then the normal route up Prisank (past the window) would probably go. There's 1 rock step, but it is fairly short and if it's not banked out you can probably use the summer metalwork.

I did the VF up through the front window when the N face was still banked out with snow a year or two back. Large sections of grade I/Easy II snow. Probably a nightmare if it's unconsolidated but would be OK if it is hard. Two rock sections won't be easy but again you may be able to cheat.
 clipper2 06 Apr 2016
In reply to aeroj:
Hi interested in how you got on. I'm there now and there's been lots of snow but it's decreasing daily.
Post edited at 20:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...