Waterproof/shell for Mera Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andyc1313 05 Mar 2016

I'm booked up to attempt Mera Peak in October, I've got most of my kit sorted, but still making a few decisions on what clothing to take, (I'm sitting writing a packing list out right now, so thought I'd ask a few questions!). This will be my first trip to the Himalayas, so any advice appreciated.

Waterproof - I'll be taking a couple of base layers and fleeces, and my Windstopper softshell jacket and an 850 down jacket, but how heavy do I need to go with a shell jacket?
I've got - Patagonia Houdini, Rab Spark, Mountain Equipment Lattice, Berghaus Velum, Rab Latok. The Latok is the only one that really holds back a proper downpour, but it weighs about 750g, I'd rather take something lighter like the Spark or Lattice; would they be ok for Mera Peak in October? How likely is it to rain for long?

Leg wear - I'm planning on taking some Montane trekking pants, merino leggings and ME G2 mountain pants, and possibly some Primaloft insulated pants.

Head, hands and feet are sorted, I think...... Julbo's, BD Mercury mitts (and plenty of merino liners and and fleece gloves), and LaSportiva Baruntses with Smartwool Exped socks.

Cheers for any advice or pointers
Post edited at 00:38
m0unt41n 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Andyc1313:
When I did it years ago I wore:
Smartwool mountain socks
Icebreaker 260 long johns
Mammut trousers
Mountain Hardwear over trousers
Icebreaker 260 long T
Mammut fleece
Mountain Hardwear windproof thick fleece
Balaclava
Beanie
Guide gloves

Waterproof jacket only needed on one day on trek in and it was a long 20 days trek started mid Oct

Later you start from Lukla in October the colder but drier it should be, but its weather not climate

Edit: above refers to from Base Camp to next 2 camps and back, not the trek.
2nd Edit: Beanie was MHW as well so in photos I looked like a stupid advert for Mountain Hardwear
Post edited at 08:22
 Adam_Turner 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Andyc1313:

I personally would want something a little more robust, jackets like the Rab spark are really light! Just remember you'll be wearing a large-ish rucksack which will wear the outer fabric on something like the Spark down quickly. Then on the other the hand the Latok is particularly heavy.

I've always faced heavy rain when I've been in Nepal (me and the weather gods don't get on at the best of times!!) You can get a decent gore-Tex pro jacket for a decent weight. My expedition hard shell is the Mountain Equipment Shivling which weighs just over 400g and it gives me peace of mind!
 andrewm1000 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Andyc1313:

I've been to Mera a number of times. Last time was five months ago October 2015. A light windproof over mid layer and base layer will be fine on most days for the walk-in or even just windproof over base layer. I've often felt hot and damp on the walk in (working hard going uphill and low clouds). You should expect some rain - not much - but enough to have a waterproof jacket plus waterproof trousers in your day sac during the walk in. Plan for a few days with heavy showers lasting an hour or so (no more). On many parts of the walk-in there's no where to hide out of the rain and in any case you want to just keep walking and not stop. My Gore-Tex waterproof jacket is around 500g. I carried it plus waterproof over- trousers each day in my day sac. Your porter carries your other gear so a day sac is really all you need. Once you get up to Kare village at 5000m then it won't rain - it will snow. An alternative is to buy a plastic "poncho" in Kathmandu that has a hood and then covers you and your sac. Porters use them. But you seem to already have a waterproof jacket so put that in the day sac.

For high camp and summit day I wore merino base layers, ME G2 pants, ME down jacket and carried the over-trousers in my day sac for extra warmth if needed. Make sure your over-trousers have long zips to put them on / take them off while wearing boots / crampons though.

I've never needed insulated pants (base layer plus G2s plus spare over trousers always been adequate) but if you aren't sure how you'll manage the cold and should the weather turn bad (high winds/cold) for summit day then you can always wear them. Let the porter carry them in the duffle bag up to high camp. You won't need them before then. Assess what to wear for summit day when you are at high camp. Take them. It can be cold but varies year to year / week to week.

PM if you want other info-. cheers Andrew

Andyc1313 05 Mar 2016
thanks for the replies, some good advice. I'm swayed more towards my ME Lattice, it is just a lightweight type (250g), but I'm hoping it'll be in my pack most of the time! (I'll b there late oct, early Nov). My berghaus is Goretex ActiveShell, but to be honest isn't much more waterproof or breathable then the lattice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...