REVIEW: Jottnar trousers - Vanir LT shell and Vali softshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 03 Mar 2016
Jottnar trousers montage, 4 kbIn search of the perfect winter legwear Dan Bailey tests a combination of softshell and hardshell trousers from Jöttnar.

Read more
 Stefan Kruger 03 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Wonder if the Vali trousers would work for ski touring?
 Hans 03 Mar 2016

I have a pair of the hardshell trousers as I'm currently getting into alpinism and ski touring. I have tested these out on a recent avalanche awareness course involving a lot of off-piste skiing, and looking forward to using them in Scotland in a few weeks' time. I'll also take them on an alpine course in June as well, so they'll get some varied treatment. I have to say they are a really decent bit of kit and really keep the elements out.

However, my main issue with them, as you have pointed out, are the braces. Mine actually fully broke without much use (maybe 6 times). The metal attachment is really badly designed, and actually hard to get out of the fabric loop if it does break. I will eventually get it out, and plan to use some sort of stretchy bungee cord or para cord as a temporary fix. Massively disappointing considering the amount I paid and also the fact that the ME Karakorum pair I retired had bombproof, wide braces. Considering contacting Jottnar to see if they can help fix them properly though.

Glad to hear they are redesigning this feature.

H.
 Stewpot 03 Mar 2016

Just prey the hood cinch on your Bergelmir doesn't break and if it does, they have stock to replace it.....
 TobyA 05 Mar 2016

I'll send in my review of the the Jöttnar Asmund jacket into to UKC shortly, but reading Dan's comments on windproofness here grabbed my attention because again, using the Asmund (with the Jöttnar Vanir salopettes) I've really noticed the air permeability again. Recently, skiing in Scotland this was particularly noticeable when sitting on the pomas and the like. I actually swapped to some old Goretex salopettes that I had in the car the next day to see if the change was noticeable and it really was - they were definitely warmer wearing them over the same thin base layer.

I think when hiking I also don't notice it, but when still in an exposed position (like on ski tow) I do. Oddly winter climbing in NeoShell last winter a reasonable amount, I don't remember being bothered by it even when belaying for longer periods though. Nevertheless these folk http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hardshell-Jacket-Reviews/Westcomb-Shift-LT note the same experience with a NeoShell jacket, so I don't think its just me going crazy!

Anyway, lover the yellow troos. Dead jealous I didn't get to try them out but looks like Dan has got out doing more climbing than I have managed this year so obviously deserved funky trousers more than me!
 Morgan Woods 05 Mar 2016

Would it not be a good idea to tie off those screws in the first pic?

TobyA 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Tieing off ice screws is very 1998 you know!
 Morgan Woods 06 Mar 2016
In reply to TobyA:

You may be right.....I seem to remember some study/demo saying not to do it because it will bend the tube....does seem somewhat counter-intuitive.
 TobyA 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Yes, the study was the tie off slips down the tube and gets cut on the hanger. Shorter screws fully in is the best solution, but obviously not always possible.
 HeMa 06 Mar 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Rule of thumb is to tie off, if more than an a cm or two stick out...

It's fun ti tie off half screwed in stubbies and 13cm screws :rollseyes:

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...