Lightweight Trekking Rucksack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simon manc 01 Mar 2016
Evening All, I'm looking for a new trekking pack. My current one is a Lowe Alpine Cerro Torre and is almost 3kg just empty which is a bit nuts.
Any thoughts on a basic, stripped down lightweight 60/70L pack, or am I best sticking to what I've got? ta
In reply to simon manc:

Osprey do good lightweight rucksacks but at 60/70L I'm not sure if I can recommend anything. What sort of weight are you likely to be carrying?
OP simon manc 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Would probably be 15 - 20kg max.

JayPee630 01 Mar 2016
In reply to simon manc:

Crux AK70.
Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter.
ULA Catalyst.
Cilo Gear 60 or 75 worksack.
Aiguille Alpine would make you something.
Exped Lightning 60.
Montane do something.
Berghaus Expedition model.
Lowe do a reasonable lightish pack too.
In reply to simon manc:

Not really sure why you need a 60/70L pack for 15-20 kg so will leave it to others to advise you.
 OwenM 01 Mar 2016
In reply to simon manc:

http://www.lightwave.uk.com/products/rucksacks/lightwave-rucksacks

I have one of these the Ultrahike 60 weighs 1.2kg I find it very comfortable and waterproof.
 mp3ferret 01 Mar 2016
In reply to simon manc:

The montane packs are lightweight, not so stripped down though - the grand tour has all sorts of bells and whistles. I've got the 70 ltr and love it. its got all the usual pockets and flaps 'n' things to help keep everything nicely organised (for those of that persuasion)

https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/equipment/packs/grand-tour-70
 Only a hill 01 Mar 2016
In reply to simon manc:

ULA Circuit. Best pack I've ever used.
llechwedd 01 Mar 2016
In reply to simon manc:

I used the Osprey Exos 46 on a long walk over British mountains and had no real problems with it. There is a bigger model, 58, but it felt like the 46 held all I needed on all but one or two occasions.
 Adam_Turner 02 Mar 2016
In reply to simon manc:

Have you looked at Podsacs? Their packs suit me nicely as they're bomb proof yet a nice simple design. Not to sure what their availability is like in the UK at the moment though.

Otherwise, Deuter? Probably a little heavy but if the Guide is anything to go by, super comfy.
In reply to simon manc:

I've had a 60L Golite 'something' for about 6 years now. Weighs about 900g, has taken some serious abuse. I've had 20kg loads in it but it needs packing out with a foam groundmat for stability. Standard packing I wouldn't go above 15kg. Highly recommended though!

Looks like the current version of it is the 50L Jam:
http://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/440691/products/golite_mens_jam_ultralight_50l_r...
 damowilk 02 Mar 2016
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:
Golite went bankrupt over a year ago. Even before that they'd decided not to trade outside the US, so will be very difficult to source any remaining packs.
From what was said on another thread, it sounds like the new owners of Podsacs are not bothering to make any new packs and were just selling off existing stock, a shame as I liked their packs a lot, and still just a battered, but functional 10yr old Thin Ice.

ULODG, the online store referenced in the post above, is very good.
The ULA circuit mentioned above would have to be pretty amazing to justify being almost 2.5 times more expensive than a good Lowe Alpine or Montane pack, on the site.
Post edited at 09:29
In reply to damowilk:

Wounded!
 Only a hill 03 Mar 2016
In reply to damowilk:

> The ULA circuit mentioned above would have to be pretty amazing to justify being almost 2.5 times more expensive than a good Lowe Alpine or Montane pack, on the site.

It is pretty amazing! I have a Montane sack which is also good, but nowhere near as good as the Circuit. For my needs, as a lightweight backpacking sack, it's perfect and worth every penny.
m0unt41n 03 Mar 2016
In reply to Adam_Turner:

Podsacs now a bit of a joke since they only have one version of one model rucksack for sale.
The X-Pod is / was ideal for expeditions and big treks.
 Adam_Turner 03 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

That's a shame. Got to agree though, love my XPOD. I can carry 25kg+ in it comfortably and used it for sack races at camps it's that huge!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...