Recommend me a good tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pbob 28 Feb 2016
Ok so I'm off to the highlands with a friend for one week backpacking in early May. I've just dug out my trust old quasar to find the inner ripped, the fly delaminating and three sections of pole broken. I think it may be terminal.

We have the option of taking two small 1/2 man tents. Mine is ok in wet weather but I don't think it would cope with too much wind. Not great for cooking in either. I'll probably tave a bivvi bag in any case.

I think a new quasar would set me back £500 or so. Second hand ones seem to be expensive too. Can anyone recommend me an alternative: light(ish), strong enough to cope with Scottish weather in May, big enough for two grown men, cheap as chips?
 koolkat 28 Feb 2016
In reply to Pbob:
Blacks octane 3 a 3 man tent with big porch alloy poles good fabrics reduced from £260 to £170
ive had macpac , north face , wild country , mountain hardwear , tents and still impressed with
this for the money , not sure of the weight though
Post edited at 17:45
 angry pirate 28 Feb 2016
In reply to Pbob:

I've been impressed by my Wild Country Zephyrus though the porch might be too small for two packs.
It might be worth having a look at the Alpkit range.
In reply to angry pirate:

Alpkit Kangri on offer for £280 Roomy 2man bomber Tent
You'll not do any better for that kinda Money
OP Pbob 28 Feb 2016
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:

Brilliant. That's just a Quasar made by someone else! Anyone know if the bits are interchangeable?

angry pirate 28 Feb 2016
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:

I have an eye on one of those. If I could just convince my other half I need a another tent!
 ChrisNaylor 28 Feb 2016
In reply to Pbob:
I know you said cheap as chips but If your budget can stretch i'd go for a hilleberg, I've got both the namatj 2 gt and 3 gt and can highly recommend them both... There was a 2gt on gumtree not long ago for around the £380 mark!!

There's a review on my blog of both tents and I can vouch for them in all weathers from winter in the gorms to summer in Cornwall (I was probably more uncomfortable in the heat in summer!)

Plenty of room and with the gt models the vestibule is big enough to cook in if your out in a hoolie!

Some others to consider in the second hand market (or new if you get a good deal) mountain hardware trango, marmot alpinst... As others have said alpkit have some good deals at the moment on the kangri or even the bigger zhota

Just my tuppence worth!
Post edited at 21:03
Removed User 28 Feb 2016
In reply to angry pirate:

Get it delivered to your work address
In reply to Pbob:

Do terra nova still make the solar 2?

Had one for 15 years, still going strong.

Solid, roomy, easy to pitch but light enough not to be a chore

Haven't seen anything id swap it for

Niall_li 28 Feb 2016
In reply to Pbob:

I've just done 3 months of camping in a 2 man MSR elixir, comfortably held 2 people and still in great condition (even after Patagonian winds). porches aren't massive compared to some tents if you're not planning on travelling light though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...