Winter walking/bothy trip (Cairngorms?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brev 24 Feb 2016
I've been thinking of heading up to the Cairngorms this weekend for an overnight bothy trip. One idea was to walk from Linn of Dee to the Hutchison Hut (via Derry Cairngorm and maybe Beinn Mheadhoin depending on time) and back the following day via Beinn 'a Chaorainn and Beinn Bhreac. Appreciate it might be hard going with current snow levels, but hopefully the snow won't be too soft considering the continuous cold weather. I was just wondering if anyone knows whether the Hutchison tends to get many visitors this time of year. I know it's tiny, but don't really fancy carrying a tent!

Any other suggestions for 2 day/1 night trips would be much appreciated as well. Preferably within a 3hrs drive from Edinburgh (i.e. south of Inverness/Ft William).
 indigo 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Brev: I've done a few winter bothy trips into the Cairngorms and your planned trip looks great. I always carry a tent however in case of bad weather, full bothies or unsavouries in bothies. I've experienced all three. The Hutchinson is tiny, from memory 5-6 people max laid out. I slept inside my tent, inside the Hutchinson once it was so cold. Other trips you might like. Lairig Ghru from the north. Camp in Garbh Coire (or use the shelter). Up onto Angels Peak - NE ridge Grade I, I think. Round Garbh Coire and down. Hike out next day. Lairig Ghru from South. Camp / Courour Bothy. Devils Point round to Brairiach and down. Hike out next day. All depends on snow conditions of course. It took my a day to hike from Strath Nethy to Glenmore once having been caught in a blizzard - tent was handy then ! Enjoy Mike

OMR 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Brev:
Last weekend there were an alleged 19 people in the Hutchie on the Saturday night (although I'm told one went outside to sleep). Don't know quite how that would have been possible, but have seen some distinctly odd photos.
Sure, you might end up there all on your own, but a tent/bivvy bag is probably a good idea for a fallback.
By the way, the snow at the weekend was all freshly drifted and quite a hindrance at times.
An alternative to sleeping in the Hutchie is to base yourself at Bob Scott's and do Beinn Mheadhoinn one day and Beinn's Bhreac and Chaorainn the next. All are doable in a day from Scottie's.
Post edited at 13:53
OP Brev 24 Feb 2016
In reply to OMR:

Cheers both for the suggestions. Sounds like it'd be best to either carry a bivvy bag or follow one of your suggestions for alternative options!
In reply to Brev:

Always carry a bivvy bag! It increases your options if the bothy is crowded when you arrive, but more importantly you can survive a night out in relative comfort if you get caught short or fail to find the bothy
 Ramblin dave 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> Always carry a bivvy bag! It increases your options if the bothy is crowded when you arrive, but more importantly you can survive a night out in relative comfort if you get caught short

Presumably you want to carry a trowel for that, as well!

Some good suggestions, though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...