Rab Nimbus Jack as Belay Jacket for Scottish Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RossWoodruffe 19 Feb 2016
Just wondering if anyone has gotten much use out of the new nimbus jacket in Scotland this winter yet? I love this jacket but I'm wondering if it's too light for use as a belay jacket.

Would appreciate the collective wisdom of the UKC forums . . .
In reply to RossWoodruffe:

Why don't you use it next time you're out, then you'd know how it works for you?

Stuart
OP RossWoodruffe 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Stuart the postie:

I inevitably will at some point so I'll report back if anyone's interested. Was hoping someone else already had some experience of it on a cold belay in case it's completely inadequate whilst I have time to look at alternatives.
 Mr-Cowdrey 20 Feb 2016

Not quite the reply you're looking for but, I have used the Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Hooded jacket as a light belay Jacket for UK winter. It has less insulation than the RAB Nimbus and is a fair bit lighter.

But I think it really depends on the layers underneath and the conditions. I had a long sleeved merino base layer on with the Patagonia Nano Air as a Mid Layer and the RAB Exodus softshell as my outer layer. I generally run quite warm anyway. The conditions were not quite scottish though. Overcast with a light wind and about -5ish from what I remember.

In comparison to the ever popular ME Fitzroy, the Nimbus has more in terms of insulation weight (in theory making it warmer) but does have stitch through baffles (in theory making it colder). Plus it doesn't have the gimmicks associated with a dedicated 'belay jacket'.

Apologies for not actually having used the Nimbus, this is just my 2p worth
 galpinos 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey

> In comparison to the ever popular ME Fitzroy, the Nimbus has more in terms of insulation weight (in theory making it warmer) but does have stitch through baffles (in theory making it colder). Plus it doesn't have the gimmicks associated with a dedicated 'belay jacket'.

I would have said the Fitzroy had a fair bit more insulation in it than the Nimbus, though I can't find the actual weight of insulation used, just the weight per square meter.
 Mr-Cowdrey 20 Feb 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Yes I think you're right, I'm mistaken! When i had a look on the ME website, it states the Fitzoy has 100g in the body and 60g in the arms and hood. I didn't read it properly. So that would equate to 280g (am I right here?) Or is that the weight per square metre you mentioned?

Where as the RAB Nimbus only has 203g as stated on the RAB website.

I think I'm confusing myself now!! Apologies, just ignore me

galpinos 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

The general 100g/60g/40g Primaloft is the weight of the insulation per square meter, not the actual amount of insulation used. As every manufacturer uses these figures, it gives a good rough idea which Primaloft Garment will be warmest. It's not much help when comparing with jackets using different insulation types, as is this case with the Nimbus.

In the case of the Fitzroy, it does have 60g in the sleeves and 100g in the body with some double layering of 100g (effectively 200g) over the pocket areas. It's also an ace belay jacket!

Mr-Cowdrey 20 Feb 2016
In reply to galpinos:

I did wonder whether the weights stated were per metre, have never been too sure and as you said, the Fitroy does have the stated weights.

I've been meaning to get one but can't really justify ANOTHER jacket!
OP RossWoodruffe 10 Mar 2016
Thanks for all the comments. I tried to research and get a comparison of primaloft to down or cirrus to primaloft and/or down in terms of material properties but without success.

I think I'll be conservative and pack an extra spare layer in case it's not up to the job but it'll be a good test and I'll report back on how it performs.

Cheers,

Ross
Post edited at 13:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...