Recommend me winter climbing gaiter!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan Beard 10 Feb 2016
I want some new gaiters primarily for winter climbing in Scotland and spring/summer in the Alps.

There does not seem to be the choice of quality ones on the market that there was 10 years ago.

I tried on some Rab Latok Alpine in Medium but there were 2 problems. The upside down hook would not work on my Trango Evo Extremes as the tongue is too stiff under the laces. They were just too tight on my calves (39cms or 15"). I take a size 11 boot (or 12 by La Sportivas reckoning). The store did not have a large size.

Some of the cheaper ones e.g. Trekmates seem to have the buckle sticking out a lot & I don't want to catch a crampon there. I like the sleek line of the Latok.
 Andypeak 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Duncan Beard:

If you are a size 11/12 boot you would definitely need a size large latok gaiter. Im a 10 and use a large. I've been very happy with mine.
Karakoramian 11 Feb 2016
In reply to andy.smythe:

+1 Large latok works for me pretty much everywhere. However, my boots are smaller.
 iksander 11 Feb 2016

BD Frontpoint gaiters are nice and trim but fit might be a struggle if you have buff calves?
 CurlyStevo 11 Feb 2016

built in one - to your trousers!
 ben b 11 Feb 2016

Only one rational choice: the Outdoor Research Crocodiles. Trim fitting over the boot and whatever calf width you need (no zip, just Velcro). Also really easy on/off.

B
 angry pirate 11 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Plus one to this. I really rate internal crampons.
Alternatively of the weather is really bonk or it's Baltic then I'll go with yeti gaiters. They are a trim fit and keep the boots dry and my feet toasty. Not so ace for crack climbing mind.
 The Potato 11 Feb 2016
these are also worth considering - a bit heftier than Latok etc but much tougher against crampons, its what I use in winter

http://tinyurl.com/ju3t4jd
Post edited at 19:27
OP Duncan Beard 11 Feb 2016

Internal crampons sound painful!

Thanks for advice so far. Any opinions on Berghaus GTX?
 ben b 12 Feb 2016

Yep, still these
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens-crocodiles-b76dbcdb50233a9ac2503749f...

There's no point to having a zip. They leak, break and add weight. Unless always wearing crampons the underfoot strap is vulnerable and needs to be both tough and repairable. Fat Velcro allows a lot of adjustment and the cut of the instep pulls the fairer in and away from front points. If internal gaiters go wrong once in deep snow you have cold wet feet...

With the crocs, you stand on the underfoot strap, lift up and wrap the legs. To remove, pull the front Velcro apart and step out. Quick, easy, strong and bombproof!

Cheers

B
 alasdair19 05 Mar 2016

I've had several pairs of a sort of half gaiter from decathlon cheap and light OK fabric.

last season they disintegrated a bit early and splashed on or crocodile very impressed good fit, seem very tough over kill for alps probably
drmarten 05 Mar 2016

Put the gaiters on, or at least the bottom of them including the lace hook, before you do up your laces and then close the gaiter afterwards. I say this because I found the same problem going from Nepals to Trangos this season with the same gaiter. I have the same size feet and same gaiters, albeit in Large. Previously I used to put my Nepals on and then my gaiters but this didn't work with the Trangos, as I couldn't get the lace hook under the laces.
I'm more concerned with the durability of the leather lace guides on the Trangos, when I tighten up the laces the leather looks as if it might get cheesewired right through although there is no sign of this happening, it just looks like there should be some metal or plastic in there somewhere.
 David Staples 05 Mar 2016

I have the Rab latok extreme gaiter size large and these fit fine over my 44.5 Nepal boots. Also I never bother with the lace hook and they still stay in place during long days in the mountains. Never had a problem with them.
 nniff 05 Mar 2016

Mountain equipment ones are OK, but vulnerable where the strap attaches on the inside. BD ones are trim and tough. However, Decathlon really seem to have got their act together at the moment and their Simond Alpine one looks really solid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...