Tough camera advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi all

looking for some advice about tough camera's

I used to own an Olympus tough cant see which model its a few years old, I loved it but it turned out to not be so tough? I think it was the cold that killed it or the wirering has a problem,

so I am in the market for a new camera, I think it will have to be a tough/waterproof one I work as a climbing instructor/coach and river guide in the french alps, and I would love a digital SLR but I need it to be quick to use, take abuse and not break the bank (I saving for some new touring skis ).

here is a link to my photos profile page on 500px to show the kind of thing I like to shoot if that makes any difference or you fancy a look?

https://500px.com/robo7

I am thinking of the Olympus TG-4 I like the idea of being able to shoot raw and have a few lens option's, but a little wary after my last Olympus died,

so any feedback on that model or others that my be an option would be appreciated.

many thanks Rob

paulh.0776 10 Feb 2016
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Just acquired a Fuji Xpro1 as a light weight camera for when I'm out with a heavy sack after seeing how much punishment they can take (a mate of mine has one that is battered and scratched after trekking/climbing etc and still works perfectly). Great retro controls that are easy to use and as its now been upgraded to xpro2 you can pick 2nd hand bodies up on ebay for a song.
 John Kelly 10 Feb 2016
Had 3 various Olympus tough camera's, drowned them all eventually, usually jumping 3 plus metres into deep water will overwhelm the defences, that said they do put up with a lot of stick and apart from the earliest version they dried out ok, take ok pics, reliable companion
Post edited at 19:16

thanks for the replies

will have a look at the Fuji Xpro1 Paul could always stick it in a peli case when boating, MFB i love my tough so maybe another one and not expect it to be that tough?

thanks
m0unt41n 11 Feb 2016

I have an older Olympus Tough which is great in bright sunlight but not very good in dim light. When out on the hill it is always in a pocket or on a cord round my neck or on rucksack belt.

I keep wanting to replace it with something better but I keep coming back to the thought that although my photos aren't usually very good, if I had to get a better camera out of my sack or a protective case then it is likely the photos would be non-existent.

So I just keep waiting for a waterproof, crush proof, freeze proof Sony RX100 Mk anything
 obi-wan nick b 11 Feb 2016
In reply to ecrinscollective: can't help with tough camera but can you tell me which via ferrata that is in the picture please?

In reply to obi-wan nick b:

Hi

The via ferrata is in the durance gorge, near the Ecrins.
there are sections on both side at all grades linked by a few bridges that is the highest and longest on, there is also a zip wire that goes over it,

Cheers
 obi-wan nick b 12 Feb 2016

thanks
 Mal Grey 12 Feb 2016

I've had an old Tough 1050 (still works, but image quality basic), and now have a TG-2. This is mostly used in the pocket of my buoyancy aid when canoeing, and as such gets quite wet from rain and the occasional dip. It also gets dropped into the bottom of the canoe regularly (on a piece of elastic so I don't drop it in the water), and generally bashed and abused heavily. It still works well,though the cable "door" is now chipped and the seal may not last much longer.

In good lighting conditions, its surprisingly close to the DSLR in image quality, in poor conditions, its not brilliant but adequate.

Overall, I like it. It means I have a camera with me on rubbish days, and on hill days when I don't want the weight of the DSLR.

IM 12 Feb 2016
I have tried various tough cameras over the years but have always been disappointed with the picture quality. They can be ok in bright conditions, often rubbish in duller conditions, where a camera phone is just as good IMO! I have always ended up selling them on. But they are robust and practical, which is why I kept trying them. But I now think on balance it is better to get a camera which will give you better image quality and then take a bit more care with it. So, the Sony rx100 series is fab - the mark 1 version is still great and can be picked up for a decent price. I also really like the Canon GX1, bigger and chunkier than the Sony and not a 'tough' camera but built like a brick and has a large sensor so the IQ is great. The mark 1 version can also be had for a reasonable price. Obviously, neither of these cameras are waterproof!
I have a Fuji X Pro 1 and I think it is too large, expensive [it was prior to the mrk 2 version appearing anyway] and fragile to be used as a 'tough' camera substitute. Just my experience, great camera though it is.

deepsoup 12 Feb 2016

I couldn't say whether it'd be justfied really, but if you want to shoot raw with a compact waterproof camera one way you might achieve that is by using a Canon camera (Powershot D20? D30?) and installing CHDK: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

It's a tad fiddly but in addition to raw images it gives you manual control and all sorts of whizzy functions the camera wouldn't normally have.
 Snowdave 13 Feb 2016

Buy a TG-4, the newest version from Olympus. I got one last summer I very good it is! I got the screw ring convertor & have a UV filter on all the time & also a circ polarizer also for sunny days. Also have the rubber sleeve/cover fitted too

It can shoot RAW & has a fast F2.0 lens, & a super macro/microscope mode (1cm focus). I have a decent sized Photo specific/colour correct computer screen & my pics look as good as my mates using a Nikon DSLR costing £££. Zoom well in, & yes it pixelates, but that is A2 size paper & bigger.
m0unt41n 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Snowdave:

Does it have a sliding lens cover?

I have an old TG810 which has and its great since you don't have to worry about cleaning the lens. But the models after do not. Not sure why as I have never had a problem with the cover sticking in cold or heat.

Just seems daft if you have to check and maybe clean the lens every time you use it.
 John Kelly 13 Feb 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

Sliding lens cap was really useful feature, shame they left it off subsequent models, never worried about dragging it up rock, couldn't scratch lens and it was always clean and ready to go

Thanks for the replies, I think it will be a tough tg4,

I was happy with the quality of my last tough, to be fair half my photos on my link are from a tough and the other iPhone, and I am happy with them, I don't set up shoots just see somthing I like and want to take it,

I prefer a sliding lense cover, just would seam to make sense for a camera that you expect to treat rough,

So now I just need to find the best deal on one

Thanks again Rob
 Snowdave 14 Feb 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

> Does it have a sliding lens cover?

No it does not which is why I got the converter adaptor that Olympus make for screwing their fisheye or tele lens to the front. This convertor also takes a standard filter (cant remember thread size) & have a Hoya pro UV on the front, just like you would on a DSLR to protect the lens.

Just Google Olympus main website & TG-4 & look under accessories for the parts.
I got mine from Wex Photography as I ordered a few of the accessories & overall they came in cheapest.
davidlindsley 17 Feb 2016
Olympus TG-4 is a good camera, tough, robust and would highly recommend.

Im a full time wedding photographer ( http://blavou.co ) but wouldn't dream of taking my workhorse up the slopes with me. Too heavy, too expensive. So i got myself a TG-4. Don't think I have any images online but will have a look and send through!
Post edited at 16:23
 phizz4 17 Feb 2016

The Tough 4 is being used by a lot of cavers at the moment, especially because of Olympus's Live Composite Mode. Have a look at their opinions on ukCaving.com
 Snowdave 18 Feb 2016
In reply to phizz4:

> The Tough 4 is being used by a lot of cavers at the moment, especially because of Olympus's Live Composite Mode. Have a look at their opinions on ukCaving.com

Fantastic mode that^^^^

In Night composite mode the camera only holds the shutter open for a couple of sec max, so anything requiring a longer shutter best to use this mode! Camera calculates total shutter open time & instead of one long exposure picture it takes a series of pictures & overlays them on top of each other. I did a tricky night shot with moon light, & two different street lights, perfect exposure, was blown away with the result!
 nutme 18 Feb 2016
Vote for Olympus Tough as well.
Takes a lot of abuse and cheap to replace.

I do use GoPro as well, but it's not particularly great for photography.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...