Salewa Pro Guide / Vertical

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mcanuda 07 Feb 2016
Contemplating getting a pair of these for a week of climbing in Scotland. None of the La Sportiva stuff seems to fit well, Scarpa manta pro fit but aren't stiff enough (B2). I've got a pair of Salewa wildfire and like them hence thinking the guide pro.

Anyone got a pair and got feedback on them? Also trying to find somewhere that stocks them, but seems the handful that used to no longer do - so probably have to mail order unless someone knows otherwise?

Cheers
 ankyo 07 Feb 2016
In reply to mcanuda:

I've got the Verticals and love them. They are really comfy and feel very precise. I got mine from Kong in Keswick. The guys in there are really knowledgable. I have fairly wide feet so got the wider fitting boots, the regular were too tight. I had a bit of a job getting my g12s to fit them but managed eventually. It might be due to my small feet, size 7.
 Andypeak 07 Feb 2016
In reply to mcanuda:

I think ultimate outdoors have these on offer for about £160
OP mcanuda 07 Feb 2016
In reply to ankyo:

That's great - thanks. How did you find the fit? How much bigger did you have to go compared to your normal trainers?
OP mcanuda 07 Feb 2016
In reply to andy.smythe:

Thanks - I'll check it out!
2powern 08 Feb 2016
In reply to mcanuda:

I've got a pair of the MS Vertical Pro in the standard width. I'm street shoe size 9 and bought 9s. They're a little roomy, but no issue at all with thick winter socks. My G12s had no issues fitting. Only problem I've had is, once they get soaked, they take ages to dry. Otherwise cracking boots.
 tspoon1981 08 Feb 2016
In reply to ankyo:

The toe box is quite large, so some crampons have a less than ideal fit. Petzl crampons all seem to work fine though. They are comfy boots though, straight put the box, I had no rubbing or need to break them in. I have them 1/2 an size larger than my street shoe.
 HeMa 08 Feb 2016
In reply to mcanuda:

I got the Gaiter version...

And indeed they are rather nice.

The walkin'/climbing mode dealio works well... But be careful with the allen key, mine already has some slop in the boot from not seating the key properly (I now use the head of a file to change the mode).

Just remember, that Salewa does 2 lasts on them boots. Normal and Wide...

Crampon vise, G14 Newmatics, Darts and AustriAlpin SkySteeps seem all to work out just fine with them.
 thedatastream 08 Feb 2016
In reply to mcanuda:

I've got a pair of Pro Guide's in the Wide fitting which suit my feet really well. You can easily adjust the lacing to suit your foot with the mini clamps and the other clips. I bought them in Nov 14 from the Climbers Shop in Ambleside (they were on offer at the time which made it even more of a logical purchase) but neither they nor Outside seem to stock them anymore.

I like the walk/climb modes on them, makes the long walk ins seem relatively straightforward and the grips on the bottom are super deep, another plus. You do have to ferret all the crap out of the hole before you use the allan key, I filed the end of mine down so I can flick the bits of crap out before turning it. Otherwise you risk rounding off the sides of the hole. A spray of GT85 around the hole and some gentle working of the mechanism seems to loosen things up a bit but don't go crazy with it.

They are nice and warm, no problems with cold feet. The mini gaiter at the top of the pro guides sits snugly against your leg.

Black Diamond Sabretooth (clip) crampons fit them just fine, the only minor downside being that the heel clip bar covers the allan key hole but I can't see when you'd want to change from B2 to B3 when you've got your crampons on.

A really good pair of boots and I'm very happy to own them!
OP mcanuda 08 Feb 2016
In reply to thedatastream:

Thanks all, that's all great feedback and reassuring that I'm not making a big mistake getting them. For those that have the gaiter version, any problems with the durability of the fabric?
Just a question of which size to try first )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...