Upland path building industry?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r.king 07 Feb 2016
Hey UKC, thought I'd see if anyone has worked as an upland path builder/conservation worker?

About to graduate uni and tempted by the COAT training course in the Loch Lomond National Park http://www.cairngormsoutdooraccess.org.uk/training/

Looking to hear anyone's experience working in similar roles and thoughts on the industry (future work, pay etc).

Cheers
Rob
 Doug 07 Feb 2016
In reply to r.king:

I did some path building as a volunteer with the former Scottish Conservation Volunteers, fun but hard (often very hard) work, not sure I'd want to do it as a living
OP r.king 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Doug:

Thanks Doug,

Seems to be a fair few volunteer opportunities around. The physical nature of it is a draw for keeping hill fit - if it doesn't break me.
 Bob Aitken 08 Feb 2016
In reply to r.king:

I was closely involved in developing the upland path 'industry' in Scotland in the 1980s and 90s. I'd say if you go into it with the right spirit it can be hugely rewarding and satisfying. There’s not many jobs these days that’ll give you the same opportunities to work in a wide range of superb mountain environments, to develop real craft skills, to be part of a team of kindred spirits. I’ve certainly never been as fit before or since, I'm astonished now to remember how I rattled up and down to work sites carrying awkward tools and hefty boulders - and I was usually doing only about three days a week hands-on. And some Scottish-trained pathworkers have successfully transferred their skills to warmer places like Australia.

But it’s sustained hard physical work in often harsh conditions. The weather and the midges can be dire, the pay’s nothing wonderful, and the prospects for advancement have always been a bit limited – a number of folk have set up their own contracting operations, but the flow of work tends to be erratic. I’d say it’s a great thing to do for a few years while you’re young and fit (and preferably unattached, because in the nature of the job it tends to be peripatetic). The COAT course is the best possible training, but there’s quite a lot of competition for places on the course.

Best of luck if you have a go.
 dollydog 08 Feb 2016
In reply to r.king:

ive done estate employment upgrading stalking paths;the work is hard,and in summer very exhausting.
OP r.king 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Thanks for the helpful reply Bob. Definitely going to investigate further and pop along tomorrow to the open evening.

Have worked on estates during the grouse season so understand how bad the weather and midges can get. Would be interested to hear what the next few years might look like for job prospects. I would assume with 8 trainee places this year and next there will be at least some new jobs being created...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...