Waxing an old Triple Point membrane jacket.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Rock 06 Feb 2016
I have an old Lowe Alpine Triple point ceramic jacket. The waterproof membrane has virtually all disintegrated, however the jackets outer fabric is still in pretty good condition considering the age. I only wear it to walk the dog now but despite being washed in Nikwax it, unsuprisingly, leaks.

It's a shame to throw it away so I was wondering if using Greenland Wax on it would work, without completely ruining it. Not fussed about breathability as it has pit zips and I won't be wearing it all day.

Anyone tried similar, perhaps on an old Goretex jacket?

Cheers!
 BnB 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Ian Rock:
Since it's old and lets water through, what have you got to lose?
Post edited at 21:16
 Timmd 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Ian Rock:

What he said ^
OP Ian Rock 07 Feb 2016
In reply to BnB:
Well, at the moment I have a robust wind proof jacket, that keeps mild showers off and that I don't mind snagging on branches etc as I walk the dog. If it ends up as a lump of fused waxy plastic I'd rather not bother.
Post edited at 10:29
 digby 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Ian Rock:

It was an annoying and lengthy business rewaxing some mitts, so a whole jacket would be a lot of work I think. If it didn't start as a waxed jacket perhaps there's an alternative spray water repellant you could use?
Removed User 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Ian Rock:

Just paint/spray some Fabsil on.
 BigBrother 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Ian Rock:

Wax is used on cotton fabrics and works by being absorbed into the fibres. For Nylon you would be better off with a treatment desined for the material. Although it won't mark it waterproof but will probably increase the showerproofing.

Trying to use wax on nylon will just end up with a mess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...