UKC Winter Conditions Report - Northern Cairngorms 5.2.15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ian stewart 05 Feb 2016

Ok so Melt freeze cycles continue to blow through, 6 degrees and 130mph on monday for Cairngorm summit, colder with some fresh snow wednesday thursday, and melting at all levels again today!
The good news for the weekend is that we are back to cold -4 at 900 meters by tomorrow morning.

So a lot of the snow has been stripped back from the hill again, but the gullies and deeper groove lines such as Fluted Buttress Direct are holding good neve (probably more like ice once it has frozen again tomorrow). Take some sharp tools, especially crampons for the approach slopes!

The large cornice is still hanging in above crotched gully.

I wasn't in the Corries today but I would expect the ice to have survived this blip. Mirror direct and pateys route looking pretty icy. The thaw should have cleared the cracks. There is not a huge amount of snow in the forecast to rime up the crags so I would expect them to be fairly black tomorrow.

Keep us updated if you are out over the weekend, especially if you go a bit further, Lurchers anyone....?

Cheers
Ian
Post edited at 18:43
 peebles boy 06 Feb 2016
In reply to ian stewart:

Was in Sneachda this morning, bit blowy....! Took a wander up Forty Thieves and down Aladdins, thought about heading up Central but the wind picked up and decided it might be nicer to have a rope on so headed over for some entertainment on Twin Ribs instead.
Trident area seemed to be the place to be today, with a veritable party going on in the Runnel. Teams on Central Left Hand, Jacobs, Aladdins Couloir, Mirror Direct, pair that looked to be on Fluted Buttress but not too sure.. Ice not too abundant but the snow is bomber! Pateys had some ice on show. Teams heading towards Fiachaill buttress area but it was too painful to look in that direction so no idea what folks were heading for (goggles without ice inside of them would've been helpful...). Some intrepid teams heading for the Fiachaill Ridge at midday just as the wind picked it up a gear... Lots of snow blowing around in every direction in the coire, settling in places as slab, but didn't come across anything more than half a foot deep. Forecast looking even windier tomo....! Path treacherous on way out with gusting wind behind you, may be worth keeping the pons on for a bit.

Also, cannot believe how many people were willing to pay to go skiing today. Met one guy as I got back to car park who was about to head up with three young kids. He asked me if I thought they would enjoy it....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...