Batura 2.0 or Nepal Evo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Karakoramian 05 Feb 2016

Hello everyone

I'm about to buy a new mountaineering boot and I'm confused between
Batura 2.0 GTX - http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain/batura-20-gtx
Nepal Evo GTX - http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain/nepal-evo-gtx

I won't go in details what and why.. it's pretty obvious from the choices.

Though I haven't tried either of these but heard great things about both. Especially how light the Batura 2.0 is! It's a shame that I can't try these anywhere in Scotland this winter.

Have you used either?
What would you pick?
Post edited at 14:41
 Mark Haward 05 Feb 2016
In reply to Karakormian:

I tried on both several times. I don't suffer from cold feet and often use the same pair of boots for UK winter climbing and alpine summer climbing. Alpine climbing, in particular, often doesn't require a gaiter and there can be a wide temperature variation from cold to hot. Therefore I decided not to get the Batura, probably too warm for me. I felt the Nepal Evos were heavy - instead I opted for the lighter Nepal Cubes. I can add a lightweight gaiter or 'stop touts' and a heavier weight gaiter if needed.
I've had them a year and found them awesome for Scottish winter and Alpine mixed, rock, snow and ice.
Karakoramian 05 Feb 2016
In reply to Mark Haward:

That's exactly what I need - Scottish Winter, Alpine Summer (and slightly beyond destinations) in one boots.

But Baturas are lighter than the Cubes?

From the two (Evo/Batura), what would you pick?
In reply to Karakormian:
They are both overkill for moderate terrain, what do you want them for?
Post edited at 17:16
 Robh101 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Karakormian:

The debate could be null and void if you haven't tried either pair on!! Don't know how much you know about fittings and lasts etc, but if they don't fit your foot shape properly you'll end up with more problems that they are worth.

Go to a decent outdoor retailer (cotswold/Brigham etc) and get your feet measured. Any member of staff that knows what they are doing will be able to recommend a boot suitable for your needs based on your measurements
In reply to Karakormian:

The Batura's are warmer and should be good up to ca 6000m though they have been used above that.
cb294 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Robh101:

> The debate could be null and void if you haven't tried either pair on!!

Especially true for these two models! If the Nepals fit your feet well, you don't stand a chance getting into Baturas, which are built on a much narrower last (more like the Trango series).

CB
 Nathan Adam 07 Feb 2016
In reply to cb294:

Agreed, I had a pair of Nepal Evo's for a few seasons and tried on Baturas when getting new boots but they were way too narrow even though they look pretty roomy. Scarpa Phantom Guide is a good wider boot if you are looking for a boot with a gaiter on it which is what I went for.

Have since started using the new Phantom Tech from Scarpa which is a slightly narrower fit than the Guide and more precise but not as warm but then again I still got cold toes in the Guides. Really nice to climb in them with a lightweight mono point crampon, definitely worth having a look at those too.
 Mark Haward 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Karakormian:

As other have said, find what fits best as a priority. I went for Cubes. Used them on several TD alpine routes and found them awesome
cb294 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Nath93:

Exactly, I have Nepal Evos and Scarpa Phantom Guides, both fit my feet very well.

CB
Karakoramian 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Karakormian:

Thanks everyone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...