cheap merino tops any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timmyhobby 31 Jan 2016
Hi, looking to get a set off merino base layers and wondering if the mutch cheaper sets from the cheeper outdoor shops are any good, mountain warehouse do some tops that are 80% merino 20% polyester for £25 or 100% merino icebreakers are £50/£60 from cotswold are they really that mutch better or is it just the brand?

Tim
Graeme G 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

I was advised to avoid Mountain Warehouse. Bought stuff in Decathlon. Testing it today so don't know yet if it's any good.
OP timmyhobby 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Maby ill see what you say later?
 tom84 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

buy the icebreaker, don't bother with cheap gear- you'll only end up having to replace it. there seems to be a culture on ukc of being cheap with gear.....
 damowilk 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

Quality of Icebreaker seems to have gone down a lot in recent years, so you get the worst of both worlds: expensive and poor quality. I find recent purchases from them develop holes very quickly. I tend more towards Smartwool, or more expensive, but more local and niche brands like Chalky digits (I live in NZ.)

It's just £60 for a t shirt is pritty extortionate in my opinion when I could replace a cheeper product a couple of times if it was still all right quality
Post edited at 08:58
 grump gnome 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

I'm using Alpkit Kepler boxers at the moment. They are great, I have used them on cold wet days climbing, caving in Mendip and cycling as well as for walking and general cold day use. I haven't tried the tops yet but if they are as good as the boxers then you won't go wrong. The prices are good as well, Tee shirt £29.00, Long sleeve T £39.00 and boxers £18.00.
 Indy 31 Jan 2016
In reply to damowilk:

> Quality of Icebreaker seems to have gone down a lot in recent years

Have to agree.... I've stopped buying it as it shrinks horribly despite washing as directed.
 atrendall 31 Jan 2016
In reply to grump gnome:

Lidl merrino tops don't often seem available but are great value and work well and equally important last well possibly because they aren't 100% owl. Have used Icebreaker and Smartwool and while nice to start with they are massively expensive and do wear out pretty quickly. I am sure this lack of robustness is due to the 100% wool because I have Smartwool socks which have 20% manmade in and they have lasted absurdly well. Definitely try and get a mix of manmade and merino.
 Guy Hurst 31 Jan 2016
In reply to atrendall:

The Rab Meco stuff is very good. It seems to combine the feel and smell free nature of merino with the fast drying and durability of synthetics.
 bradholmes 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

Not merino but I've been looking at Brynje of Norway stuff. Interesting mesh Base layers. Tops are 29 quid for long sleeve. Wonder if anyone here has used them? Few reviews I've seen have been good.
In reply to timmyhobby:

I have a fair few icebreaker, smartwool and supernatural (merino synthnetic mix).

The supernatural/ mixed material tops go bobbly much quicker. The thinnest pure merino tops can pick up holes quite easily, but I store in bags to protect from moths; seems to help.

I'm erring back more towards pure wool, never pay full price for the big brands though )
 Guy Hurst 31 Jan 2016
In reply to bradholmes:

The Brynje base layers are almost miraculously good, if a bit odd looking. I use one with a Helly Hansen or Rab Meco shirt over the top and the result is the last clammy, most comfortable, base layer system I've used.
 Aly 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

I bought a cheap merino t-shirt from Planet X for a month-long cycle tour for about £20. Worn every day it was great, didn't smell even though it wasn't washed once and I really don't know what else you'd gain from spending £60 on a 'designer' brand apart from maybe a bigger range of colours...
In reply to fairweatherclimber:

> but I store in bags to protect from moths;

Carpet beetle larvae (woolybears) are the most likely problem.

Blacks and Millets are flogging off their own brand merino stuff at the moment (~£15 per item); the OP might get lucky with sizes. It seems as good as any.
In reply to timmyhobby:

I find my Icebreaker bodyfit pure Merino cold and clammy. I much prefer my cheap Mountain Warehouse 'extreme' (80% Merino 20% polyester) which has the benefits of a turtle neck, short zip, long length and comfy stretch all for less than half the price of the Icebreaker (in the spring sale a couple of years ago, with matching long-johns)
 mbh 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

I have worn any one of three Icebreaker merino T-shirts pretty much every day (and night, if I am honest) for the last two and a half years. I very rarely wash them and yet they don't smell. I would say that, but so does my wife. I love them, that is why I wear them all the time, but all suffer from holes, the first two being now riddled with them. However, so are many of my wool things, despite all the usual counter-efforts. I haven't worn a Lidls one, but I did get one for my wife and she liked it.
 nathan79 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

My go-to merino is generally a Rab MeCo short sleeve or a Planet X/On-one long sleeve in the colder months. The long sleeve was 25quid max, also have a vest by them and both are 5 or 6 years old and wearing well.

Also have a long sleeve Rab Meco zip top, a couple of Aldi pure merino tshirts that are well worth their £16. I also have a Smartwool long sleeve that I wouldn't rate significantly better given the large margin in price.
 Laurence20 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:
I usually get merino stuff (well 80% merino 20% synthetic) from Finisterre, a UK surf company. Their clothing is made in Portugal and is of a good quality. Can be pricy but there's often a sale on. Just checked and there's long sleeve base layers for £28, only XS or XL though..,
Post edited at 14:50
 ranger*goy 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

I've bought XTM merino from tkmaxx in recent years and it's been pretty good. Decent thickness and it hasn't holed. A little bit of bobbling but not excessive.
 bradholmes 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Good to hear that as ordering a set today.
In reply to timmyhobby:

Went to try the mountain warehouse base layers on, seemed desent enough for £22 after discount. That's what I've gone for.
Graeme G 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

Daughter reports the merino baselayer we got her at decathlon was warm and toasty, and wicked sweat really well.
 Fishmate 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

I've used Icebreaker and Smartwool for a good few years and always pick them up at sale prices. They wash well, keep their shape and most importantly do what they are supposed to. I have underwear, tops, socks and tights at 200, 260 and 320 weight and having been totally immersed in water, I can confirm that at least for me it still kept me warm (no it wasn't summer

They certainly work much better than HH tops I've had or similar, but some of the other suggestions sound worth checking out. I tend to find the old adage, 'you get what you pay for' rings true. I'm not sure what others are doing to get holes, but they are base layers (the clue is in the wording!) so generally go under another garment. If it's warm enough just to wear one layer, wear a t-shirt?
In reply to Fishmate:

> I'm not sure what others are doing to get holes,

In the case of a Powderhorn MAPP merino top (same fabric as Arc'teryx use), simply wearing it in bed. And no, I don't have an adventurous sex life...

I have CoolMax base layers I've worn for years, washed with utter abandon, and are still looking fine.

Wool is fragile; it's contructed from relatively wool fibres spun into a thread and then woven. It's pretty easy for these fibres to fray from that thread bundle. This is not true of synthetic monofilament spun threads, at least, not without damage to the monofilament.
In reply to atrendall:

> and equally important last well possibly because they aren't 100% owl.

Let's hope Darren Jackson doesn't get to hear about that...
 Anti-faff 31 Jan 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

I'd second what Ranger*goy said about the TKMaxx stuff. I've had a set (tights and T-shirt) for a about a year and a half and still going strong. Before them I had a pair of the merino tights from Mountain Warehouse. After wearing them three or four times I ended up looking like a ginger version of something out of The Rocky Horror Picture Show they had that many holes in them. Awful.

Apologies this reply is a little late, only just noticed the topic.

digby 31 Jan 2016
In reply to ranger*goy:

> I've bought XTM merino from tkmaxx in recent years and it's been pretty good. Decent thickness and it hasn't holed. A little bit of bobbling but not excessive.

Me too. It's really warm. I wear it for running in the coldest weather. And it doesn't get smelly! Sometimes add a Brynje string vest underneath but I still can't decide if it makes any difference.
le_quack 01 Feb 2016
In reply to digby:

I do the same thing xtm merino quarter zip with a brynje underneath when its really cold. Other options tho less warm than my xtms are the merino/acrylic blend tops from decathlon. I've got a bunch of them wear them all year round...... I'm wearing one right now, they wash well dry faster than my xtms but are pretty thin but cheapish enough I do t mind when I put a hole in one.
 wilkesley 01 Feb 2016

I bought a couple of Decathlon ones last year. They are at at least as good as my more expensive Smartwool ones.
 GarethSL 01 Feb 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

If you can try getting something with a 96% Wool to 5% elastane/spandex mix. I find 100% wool underwear shrinks and tears very easily, even if well cared for. Blended garments last far longer, are more durable and don't shrink or loose shape (even at higher washing temps and gentle tumble drying).
 wercat 01 Feb 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:
Been wearing only merino layers in winter now for 12 years or more and some are sale price expensive while others are Aldi or Mountain warehouse. Some are more suitable for base layer and some as pullovers or extra layers. Have had good use from all of them and some of the Aldi stuff I have had for years.

I don't hesitate to buy if the price is right - if you have lots of merinos to choose from in winter they last a lot longer and you don't even have to think about how to layer up. Talking of Tops and buff type things/gloves only, not longjohns. Good enough for sheep, good enough for me.

In spring and autumn I tend to bamboo t-shirts as merino is too warm except for winter, except for casual wear.
Post edited at 09:10
 ben b 01 Feb 2016
In reply to damowilk:

> I find recent purchases from Icebreaker develop holes very quickly.

Please hand in your kiwi badge immediately. Holes don't hurt. Next you'll be saying that you can't wear gaiters and shorts together!

b
In reply to timmyhobby:
I have both the Rab MeCo and the Mountain Warehouse tops.

Both are excellent.

Mountain Warehouse was a present from the mother in law (because it says mountain!), wouldnt have bought it otherwise... But its been great, both summer single layer, or base in winter.
Fraction of the price I paid for the Rab.

But depends whether you can handle being called a cheapskate...
Post edited at 12:09
 andrewmc 01 Feb 2016
> I was advised to avoid Mountain Warehouse. Bought stuff in Decathlon. Testing it today so don't know yet if it's any good.

on a (mostly) unrelated note about the quality of Mountain Warehouse gear, I got bought a T-shirt from there this Christmas featuring the names and continents of six of the seven Seven Summits. Featuring the highest mountains on each continent: Asia, Europe, South America, Australia, Antarctica, and... Asia. Yes, apparently Mount Kilimanjaro is in (a second) Asia. I have no idea why Denali is not included.

If they can't even get the T-shirts right... :P
Post edited at 13:12
jac the lassie 01 Feb 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

Bought one of the decathlon t shirts last year.
So good I went and bought two more. Worn one of the t shirts for 3 day doing 25-30 miles a day hiking. Got on a train and folk didn't run away or pass out! Great value for money and very comfy.
 AlanLittle 01 Feb 2016
In reply to bradholmes:

The performance of Brynje in wet cold conditions is unbeatable, but the fit is a bit wierd. I have a teeshirt that is fine, but on the long sleeved top the neck and forearms are bizarrely tight for the size, and it doesn't stretch much.
In reply to timmyhobby:

I layer up with UNIQLO heattech tops. Amazing value and versatile. T shirts, long sleeves, turtle necks...different thicknesses. Not wool obviously, but the Japanese know quite a bit about cold weather. I'm a fan (and a cheapskate)

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/feature/uq/heattech/men/
 bradholmes 01 Feb 2016
In reply to AlanLittle:

In that case I'm glad I erred on the side of caution with the sizing. I'm currently built for comfort, not speed.
 damowilk 01 Feb 2016
In reply to ben b:

I don't think I've earned my Kiwi badge yet, I don't own stripy long jons that I wear with shorts!
In reply to GarethSL:

> If you can try getting something with a 96% Wool to 5% elastane/spandex mix.

Good luck with that...

T.
 ben b 02 Feb 2016
In reply to damowilk:

Full kiwi armour = indecently short shorts, stripy long johns under, gaiters. Award 5 kiwispotter points.
Also winter Dunedin combo special: flipflops, thighs like uncooked chicken breast, shorts, down jacket. Award 10 KS points

b
 Timmd 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> Good luck with that...

> T.

If it was a ground flora ecology survey it'd work.
 GarethSL 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> Good luck with that...

> T.

Shhh, you typo slayer you.
Post edited at 10:14
afghanidan 02 Feb 2016
In reply to bradholmes:

As someone on here remarked, the Brynje stuff makes you look a bit like a sex pest but they are do the job, warm, light and handle swear brilliantly. highly recommended.
 Timmd 02 Feb 2016
In reply to afghanidan:
I'm just gutted nobody has liked my geeky post about ground flora ecology surveys.
Post edited at 23:42
Graeme G 04 Feb 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

A wee update. Apparently we didn't buy my daughter a merino top. We bought her this one.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/simple-warm-womens-top-pink-id_8343072.html

Hope my previous error hasn't cuased you to but an unwanted item.
OP timmyhobby 22 Feb 2016

I got the mountain wherehouse ones and after using them a bit now I would highly recommend them
In reply to timmyhobby:

If you are really looking for budget, Aldi are punting some 100% merino out at a tenner this Thursday. No idea of quality but at this price must be worth a look!
 Rog Wilko 22 Feb 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

I have a DHB merino top, long sleeves which I bought from Wiggle cycles. I find it very cosy, seems to wash OK, though doesn't need so much washing as polyprop. My only criticism would be that it isn't as long as I would like, though I am long in the back for my size. I'd buy a slightly larger one than you expect to need as they seem a close fit to me. From memory it cost around £30
llechwedd 22 Feb 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'm still using the Trekmates long sleeve top that I bought cheap in a closing down sale and then used over the British 3000's in 2012.
I've gone upmarket since then with a lightweight merino Icebreaker LS top. It's not as robust and is rather holey but that's probably because I became overly focused on lightweight gear.
 normie boy 22 Feb 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

Aklima from nordicoutdoor. Expensive but excellent. Warm and comfortable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...