Snowdonia February Kit & Options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Receiver16 28 Jan 2016
Hopefully I've put this in the right spot, apologies if not. And sorry for the length, but I figure more detail will make it easier to get some advice.

I have an opportunity to stop over in Snowdonia from February 21 to 23, and was hoping for advice in a few areas. I've already read through this site quite a bit, so hopefully these will be more targeted inquiries.

First, a quick bit about me and my interests: I live in Colorado, USA, where I boulder (mostly in a gym, at an amateur level) and do a decent bit of hiking/climbing (what I gather would constitute walking in your parlance) in the nearby peaks. I've done routes in winter, but I've stuck to the ridgelines where avalanche danger is minimal. While I've used foot traction, I don't have experience with crampons and an axe. I'm 33 and fit, but stay well on the cautious side.

I don't have any specific goals for this outing. Just want to maximize my time, put some miles under my boots, and stay safe. I'll be based in Llanberis.

So, my questions:

1) Is it crazy even to think about renting a crash pad, or is there some chance the weather would allow some bouldering?

2) I know it's possible to hire gear nearby, but I'm not too keen on the idea of learning as I go without any instruction. Though I'll gladly link up with any willing partners! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem I'll line up with any courses at Plas Y Brenin, or I'd pursue that. I generally go solo in my own region, so I'm comfortable with that generally, but of course I'll factor that into the degree of difficulty.

So, realizing that weather is always changing, if I stick to routes that don't require crampons/axe, are there any particularly appealing options? Doesn't have to be the highest peak or most difficult route -- I realize those will almost certainly require a full kit -- I'm interested in good routes that will get the heart rate up or pose some interesting but reasonable challenges.

If there isn't anything much worth pursuing that meets those criteria, I suppose I'd work harder to find a group to join or pay up for a guide/custom course.

3) That leads to my third question: kit. I know the demands are quite different from what we have here (dry snow which requires only softshells). So, I'll be prepared in that regard, but wasn't sure if I had a solid plan otherwise. Here was my thinking:

a) FEET: Keen Revel III boot with Kahtoola Microspikes -- These are an insulated hiking boot that I've worn down to around -10 Celsius. Will that be appropriate footwear? Are gaiters advisable? The spikes obviously won't replace crampons, but it seems they'd be useful otherwise?

b) LEGS: My thought was to combine the following: one or two layers of tights underneath water-resistant but lighter weight softshell pants, with GoreTex shell to add when necessary. Does this sound like enough insulation? Is it even worth bothering with a softshell or should I go straight to the hard stuff? Is there a better layering arrangement?

c) UPPER: GoreTex shell over Arc'Teryx Atom LT over various base layers -- is that necessary/sufficient for insulation? Is it generally considered standard to carry a heavier layer as well?

d) My standard pack here would have a quality emergency bivvy and other essential items; anything in the local conditions that would require anything non-standard I might not otherwise think of?

---

Many thanks in advance!
 climbwhenready 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Receiver16:

Looking at the forecast at the moment, I have a feeling what you'll need is waterproof troos and a good raincoat rather than anything pointy, and you might be overinsulating depending on how active you intend to be.
 Roadrunner5 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Receiver16:

boots will be fine. I'd not go out without an axe. I'm not a fan of microspikes. I use them here on trails in the mountains but we have trees so don't risk big falls. In the UK a slip and you can go a long way without an axe.

the weather could be anything, -10 to +15-20C. I've experienced every weather in snowdonia in February.

Choose your route carefully and you should be OK, but you may struggle to get on the high peaks. That being said a period of warm rain and the hills are striipped.
 elliott92 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Receiver16:

I'm planning on heading up to Snowdonia that sat 20th and sun 21st. I'd be more than happy to show you around and get you on some ridges. Weather dependant and as long as I don't get held up on that job I'm currently on

Shoot me a p.m that week if you're interested mate
 kestrelspl 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Receiver16:

I think what others have said about variability is the key thing. I was there may weekend and although there was a lot of snow in since places you could get right to the top of some of the highest mountains without stepping on snow.

The previous weekend was completely different, with deep hard snow very widespread.

Temperature and rainfall are also very variable. Unless it's really cold softshell trousers with hardshell in the bag works well for me (I usually being thermals up as well, but they generally stay in the car). For the top half again variety is key, you can need anything from a t shirt (backup layers in rucksack) to full hardshell with layers underneath.

For spikey things if you're intending to go up high they're advisable often, but more up to date conditions can be found on the met office website. If staying low you may be on, bit might have to turn back if you get to things you're not comfortable with.

Receiver16 30 Jan 2016
In reply to Receiver16:

Thanks all for your thoughts.

climbwhenready / Roadrunner5 / kestrelspl: Good to know snow on the hills isn't a certainty and I could encounter a wide variety of conditions. Wasn't sure of that. I'll wait for a final decision and downgrade the warmth a bit on the layers depending on the specific forecast. Should have a good idea since Snowdonia will be my first stop.

I do have an axe, though I won't try to check it through on my flight anyway, so I will rent if it seems even potentially necessary. I won't be bothered if I don't scale anything in particular, so long as I can string together some good treks in good scenery. Sounds like ample precipitation, so I'll be doing my bouldering indoors if I want to pursue it.

elliott92: Much appreciated. PM incoming.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...