Cairngorm snow patch - good for ice axe practice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Graeme G 28 Jan 2016
Taking a rookie out this weekend and hoping someone can save me the pain of wandering about in the predicted blizzards. I'm basically looking for a decent snow slope to introduce them to ice axe braking and how to use crampons.

Any suggestions?
 d_b 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

When I'm gatecrashing student trips and helping out with the winter skills training we usually just head up into Coire an Schneachta. There are usually some suitable spots to the left of the lower parts of the Fiacail ridge.
Graeme G 28 Jan 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Cheers. Thanks.
 pass and peak 28 Jan 2016
Given the forecasted wind on Saterday Sneachda's going to be really difficult and not conducive learning environment, other than WTF are we doing here! If it was me I'd park at the lower carpark and follow the old ski tows into Coire na Ciste grid NJ 000067. The old runs usually hold patches after a thaw that harden up, no guaranty there still there but you can work your way up and your out the worst of the wind plus its easy nav. Sunday looks OK for Sneachda on the western flanks, just beware of the avalanche danger, that aspect will be on the considerable scale if not higher, check the SAIS site, after all an angle of a slope that's good to slide on is, well, a good angle to slide!!!!
Post edited at 18:58
Graeme G 28 Jan 2016
In reply to pass and peak:

Thanks. Was planning Sunday. If slopes are well loaded if nothing else it'll a good intro for daughter to Winter in Scotland - she's keen to try out her new clothing! We could always just do a bit of avalanche awareness, always time to do the ice axe/crampon stuff later.
 d_b 28 Jan 2016

I confess that I haven't been following the forecasts. 2 month old baby takes you out of the game a bit...

I'll still go out on a limb claim that area is a good default choice if the conditions aren't 'orrible though.
 Jim Fraser 28 Jan 2016

Full on winter day expected on Saturday. In snow, high winds and quickly dropping temperatures I expect to have to use all my winter skills to battle my way from the car park into a certain Speyside hotel for my free lunch.

If you are committed to doing it this weekend then I would spend Saturday doing wilderness stuff not too far from the road just getting used to the kit and operating in winter conditions. Nothing to stop you giving somebody their first taste of wearing crampons (and of balling-up!) on a flat snow-covered path.

Less loaded western slopes on Sunday might provide something more interesting. However, choosing a weekend with the prospect of more consolidated conditions might be the best option.
Graeme G 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Thanks. A wee play with an axe and crampons may well be the order of the day. Followed by cake and a caramel latte in Glenmore.
Graeme G 31 Jan 2016

Thanks. Found a cracking slope opposite the middle station. M=We managed to experience a hard walk in through knee deep drifts. Then got some good practice with axes and crampons. A good day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...