Easy Munros to take a beginner up around Fort William

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi Folks,

I am heading up north next month and taking a friend winter walking for the first time. I was just after some suggestions for good easy Munros that won't terrify a beginner but will allow them to feel like they've had a proper winter day out. We are thinking about basing ourselves at Fort William but are happy to drive elsewhere if someone suggests something suitable. Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers,

John
Post edited at 15:28
 Jamie Hageman 21 Jan 2016
In reply to yorkshiresherpa:

The Mamores are perfect - beautiful summits and some great situations along the crests. Na Gruagaichean is a wonderful peak. Climb it from Kinlochleven and traverse the two summits (spectacular views from just above the bealach between the two peaks) with the option of extending towards Stob Coire a' Chairn or Binnein Mor in the other direction.
Stob Ban from Glen Nevis is also wonderful, and the continuation to Mullach nan Coirean is very enjoyable.
Crampons and axe essential wherever you go.
Just need some sunny days now - there's been about three since the beginning of December - rubbish!
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Sure you'd agree Jamie: Stob Ban from GN is a great hill... but not via the North Ridge for a beginner. Best via the east ridge from the head of Coire Mhusgain, and even that's quite steep
 Ramblin dave 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
Horses for courses, but up Mullach nan Coirean and down Stop Ban via the North Ridge was my first winter day out in Scotland, and I thought it was fine. A bit tame, if anything.

Edit: and I'm generally fairly timid and cautious.
Post edited at 16:30

You know your pal: How terrified might they get? I don't think many of the Munros immediately near FW are as good for nervous beginners as the grassier, less steep hills further east. More dramatic and scenic, maybe, but they're often steeper and craggier too. Best for beginners in the area (ish) would include:

Buachaille Etive Beag
Ben Nevis via the tourist path - it's a long grind but very easy, and the winter scenery up top is pretty awesome. Pick a clear day.
Chno Dearg
Creag Meagaidh via Coire Ardair and The Window (watch avalanche risk though)

Further afield things like Ben Lawers and Schiehallion are good beginner-friendly biggies. Here's an article on this very subject: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=7889
 Jamie Hageman 21 Jan 2016

Ah yes, I didn't mention ascent routes. I agree the North Ridge of Stob Ban is quite steep and blocky with some scrambling involved. East ridge is quite steep, but a great way to climb the mountain and most definitely rewarding. The finest peak in the Mamores? I think so, but it's close with Binnein Mor and Sgurr a' Mhaim.
In reply to Ramblin dave:

You can't be that timid! I just descended the north ridge the other week and had forgotten how grade I ish it is... short-lived, but definitely at the mountaineering end of the winter hillwalking spectrum.
 Jim Fraser 21 Jan 2016

You might also think of reducing the day's vertical rise by starting in a high glen at 200 to 300m. Maybe a few miles more to travel but makes it an easier beginner day.
 Ramblin dave 21 Jan 2016

I could be getting confused - it was quite a while ago...
 skog 21 Jan 2016

Assuming they're reasonably fit, and only a 'beginner' to Winter, Gulvain might be a reasonable choice - it's at the edge of some rugged, wild terrain, but has no difficulties itself.

It's a fairly long approach up Gleann Fionnlighe, but mostly on a good track.

Be aware that the summit is not the first top, with the Trig Point, but the one further NE (which isn't on the same OS Landranger Map!)

http://www.gaelicplacenames.org/maps/map.html?g=NN003876

http://www.ootnaboot.scot/lochaber200312/gulvainbrockan1.JPG
http://www.ootnaboot.scot/lochaber200312/gulvaintops.JPG
http://www.ootnaboot.scot/lochaber200312/gulvainridge.JPG

Or for a slightly bigger, two-Munro day, there's the circuit of Sgurr nan Coireachan and Sgurr Thuilm a little to the West, right on the edge of the Rough Bounds of Knoydart.

If the above days are longer than you'd like, Meall nan Teanga and Sron a'Choire Ghairbh are not as interesting, but make a shorter, quicker day from the North end of Loch Lochy, and are still well worthwhile in Winter; if struggling, it's easy enough to do one and leave the other for another day.
 alpine69 21 Jan 2016
Why go to the fort. Have a look around crainlarich , tyndrum and bridge of orchy. Loads of monro to be done and it's a great training ground without the severe severity of the fort. Approaches tend to be easier too.
 Brass Nipples 21 Jan 2016

Does it have to be munros? Some nice stuff other side of loch, great views across to Ben Nevis, and quiet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...