DMM Grip - Delays

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just had a look on Dicks: http://www.dicksclimbing.com/products/dmm-grip-belay-device

"Following some manufacturing problems there is currently no ETA for this product. It has not been completely abandoned, but it's arrival is certainly not imminent."

Anyone know what happened?
 gethin_allen 20 Jan 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Despite the supposed benefits of this device it always seemed to me to be over complicating a very simple device, and £45 for a belay device is pretty steep when you can get a bug for £12 or a reverso for £22 and the grip device can't even be used in guide mode.
In reply to gethin_allen:

It's not really in competition with those devices though is it. It's an assisted braking device designed for increased grip when lead belaying, probably at bolted venues. Just like super skinny ropes or alpine harnesses it's not a device I would always choose but it's one I would like in my arsenal.
 PaulTanton 21 Jan 2016
Your only going to carry one.
I use a Mega Jul. Love it. Simple to use and very safe.
Cant see any point in guide mode, Im not a guide. For trad multi pitch routes I cant be arsed changing the belay arrangement when my partner leads through.

Safe climbing
 lcullum7 21 Jan 2016

They were, and perhaps given the comment still are, having problems with the mass production of it. Not sure of the exact issue, but it's to do with the manufacturing rather than the concept/safety.
 Dave Reeve 21 Jan 2016

I like the concept of it and having watched the demos online I'd definitely buy one if only it was available...
 TobyA 21 Jan 2016

> Anyone know what happened?

No idea, but DMM have form for doing this. Hope they sort it out because it looked like a good idea, but there have been quite a few good looking products in their work books and at the shows down the years that never actually made it into the shops. I'm still waiting for their handled ice screws!
 gethin_allen 21 Jan 2016
In reply to TobyA:
. I'm still waiting for their handled ice screws!

Weren't they scuppered by being too similar to someone else's patent?
 nufkin 22 Jan 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> I'm still waiting for their handled ice screws!

And their carbon-fibre Deadman
 Timmd 22 Jan 2016
In reply to PaulTanton:

> Your only going to carry one.

I guess it's a good idea to know how to improvise if you're only going to carry one belay device.
 Timmd 24 Jan 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> And their carbon-fibre Deadman

Their manufacturing partner went bust which is why the deadmen didn't come to market, it's not quite fair to blame DMM.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1501
 ianstevens 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Italian hitch? Surely you don't cart a second belay plate round?
 Timmd 27 Jan 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

I would do if the other person didn't know how to improvise, or if I wasn't sure they did.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...