Recommend me a rucksack for ski touring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kathrync 20 Jan 2016
I am new-ish to touring. Up until now I have been using my mountaineering rucksack (Crux AK47), but I can't find a good way of attaching my skis for carrying that isn't a real faff.

I was recently at Glenmore Lodge and borrowed one of their bags - it was easy to attach skis, and it had a separate easy-access pocket for avalanche kit which was great - but I forgot to look at the brand.

Anyone have any suggestions for good rucksacks with these features? I am struggling to find anything, apart from a couple of things in Ellis Brigham that looked like they were built to be trendy rather than functional...

Mostly doing day-tours at the moment, so looking at something around about 30l

Thanks
 HeMa 20 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync:

Arva, Blue Ice, Mammut, Haglöfs, Arc'Teryx and a few others do touring specific packs.

I have an Arva Rescue 27 now, but were I lookin' now (a non airbag version) I'd give the Blue Ice Tiger (or somehting) a proper look. Or I might stick with Arva.
 kingborris 20 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync:

Deuter Guide 35+ ?
 Mr-Cowdrey 20 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync:

The 2 I have in mind are the Patagonia snowdrifter 30l and the Osprey Kode 32. Both have zipped entry at the top and from the back, plus a seperate zipped compartment for Avalanche gear.
OP kathrync 20 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync:

Great, thanks all - I have some names to look at now
 Dark-Cloud 20 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync:

I like the look of the Lowe alpine Attack series of packs.

I have an Ortovox Haute Route 32 for UK duties and find it a bit small if you need crampons, flask, spare layers, skins and other bits and bobs.
 Dark-Cloud 20 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync:
Glenmore use TNF, it will be the Patrol 24 or 34 i suspect, I have one of those too and its better than the Ortovox.
Post edited at 16:15
 Fiona Reid 20 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync:

Deuter Pace 28 SL. Tested it out on Sunday and loved it. Might be a bit small for some folks but it's light, skis/board/snowshoes can all be attached and most importantly it's relatively short so fits my back nicely.

inboard 20 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync:

We use Lowe alpine alpine attack 35-45. Ideal size for Scottish winter conditions, maybe a wee bit big for spring though.
 wbo 20 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync: I have a Bergans Istinden but if I was going to buy one I'd get a Haglfs Rand . Works well, price is ok , looks ok, super quality.

And 30l is the smallest to look at unless you're really good at going light.

top cat 20 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync:

Haglofs Rand, old style is better than new, both v good.
 Tom Briggs 20 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync:

I like the Black Diamond packs as they seem to carry really well and feel stable. I've replaced my Outlaw (reviewed back in 2009 http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1822) with the Dawn Patrol 32.
 Denni 20 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync:

BD Outlaw was a fantastic rucksack but when mine finally gave up, I bought and highly recommend an Osprey Kode 32. Well thought out, kit specific pouches and easy to carry ski's or a board. Well worth a look.

youtube.com/watch?v=t5v8rfJswKA&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...