Rab Ascent 900 sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 msp1987 19 Jan 2016
Good evening,

I am looking to buy a sleeping bag for Scottish winter bothy nights and summer ridge bivies etc. I have no real experience of sleeping bags, I currently use a cheap one I got for TITP the park years ago. I have been drawn to the Rab Ascent 900 as I can get it price matched for £148, it has a comfort rating of -11c. Would this be overkill in the summer time? Would having it unzipped allow it to be used on Scottish summer nights? Ideally I would like only like one bag that can be used all year round.

Thanks for any advice
 JoeyTheFish 19 Jan 2016
In reply to msp1987:

That's a lot of warmth/weight for the uses you mention. For winter camping/ bothys I use a Rab Neutrino 600 (300g less down than Ascent 900). For summer use in the UK I use a Rab Neutrino 200 (700g less down than Ascent 900). I also use a liner inside to help with temp control - if the fire has been on in the bothy then I might not touch the sleeping bag until the early hours.

A liner also helps to keep your expensive/faffy to wash sleeping bag clean.

Having one sleeping bag for all year round is not ideal. If I had to I'd probably go for a mid weight bag and supplement it with a liner for winter.
 crayefish 19 Jan 2016
In reply to JoeyTheFish:
> Having one sleeping bag for all year round is not ideal.

To say the least! I have gone as far as having 3 bags... Though they were bought over a number of years.

Scottish winter biving - down bag with water resistant shell (ME Glacier 1000)
Autumn camping - synthetic with stretchy knee area (ME Sleepwalker II TDS)
Summer camping/indoors - some cheapish light bag from a camping shop
Post edited at 21:44
 Iain Thow 19 Jan 2016
In reply to msp1987:

Had an Ascent 900 for the last 9 years, use it over 100 nights a year, mostly Scotland but have also used it for summer Alps and Pyrenees, including high bivvies. Just stick my feet out of the bottom if it's too warm, or unzip it completely and use it as a blanket. Been in minus 12 in it and slept fine (although it was after a very long day). One of the best bits of kit I've ever bought.
In reply to Iain Thow:

Rab Ascent 900 is a good bag especially for £150
Should be ideal for most Scottish winter conditions. I've used one for a few nights at the Kingshouse & Glen Etive -10 Don't be fooled into the lighter winter bags you'll be cold and fully clothed. Nothing worse than camping in winter and freezing away wishing u had purchased a warmer bag

Who's price matching for £150!?
OP msp1987 23 Jan 2016
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:
Joe Brown had it for £165 so go outdoors price matched it and took 10% off. Got it for £148.50

Post edited at 22:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...