Recommend some podcasts please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deacondeacon 18 Jan 2016
I've started listening to podcasts on the drive to work recently after deciding I couldn't handle one more morning with Vanessa Feltzs Groundhog Day.
So far I've been listening to Richard Herrings podcasts and The Infinite Monkey Cage, as well as Niall Grimes few shows.
Anyone got anything else they could recommend? I particularly like comedy and factual stuff, not too keen on Current Affairs or Politics (not at 5.30 in the morning anyway).
Older stuff is fine too, as I've never really listened to podcasts before, and although I'm struggling to find any I'm sure there'll be some decent climbing themed ones too.
 The Bantam 18 Jan 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

In Our Time - the BBC R4 program with Melvyn Bragg is excellent as a podcast.
This American Life - US-centric (obviously) but nice vignette of life.
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - epic but awesome.
Roderick on the Line - I have no idea how to describe this podcast, but one in which you can raid the archives.
 TobyA 18 Jan 2016

Serial, but do season 1, season 2 isn't so good.
This American Life I would also recommend.
Radiolab.
In Our Time (Radio 4) if you are trying to learn and expand your mind whilst driving to work!
Comedy of the Week from R4 can be good, Friday Night Comedy Podcast is always good if you're not already listening to the News Quiz/Now show.

I listen to huge amounts of podcasts but my tastes tend to go towards politics and current affairs so might not be the best recommendation for you.
Graeme G 18 Jan 2016

Digital Human gets good reviews
 EarlyBird 18 Jan 2016

+1 for Dan Carlin's Hardcore Histories.
Removed User 19 Jan 2016

I'd endorse all of the above recomendations. You mentioned comedy so you could try Frank Skinner's podcast on Absolute Radio.
 tspoon1981 19 Jan 2016

Stuff you should know - factual, sometimes funny
Ted talk - there's loads to choose from, so you should be able to find something funny
Simon mayo confessions - collections of radio 2s drivetime confessions. Quite funny
The enormocast - climbing podcast. Any of them with Kelly Cordes tend to be funny
The ledge - climbing related interviews.
Training beta - climbing training
Niall Grimes has a new one, jam crack I think
Dirtbag diaries
In ice axe we trust used to be good, but it stopped.

OP deacondeacon 19 Jan 2016

Thanks all, I'll download some this evening.
Keep them coming
 Phil Anderson 19 Jan 2016

No Such Thing as a Fish

It's done by the QI elves and is factual / funny in the same sort of way
 ring ouzel 19 Jan 2016

Tim Ferris is worth listening to as is Art of Charm. The other stuff I listen to is all business or Paleo like Solopreneur Hour and Fat Burning Man. Where the Track Ends is going to be awesome but I haven't launched yet!
 Only a hill 19 Jan 2016

New mountain podcast launched recently: http://mountainpodcast.com
 chris_s 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Only a hill:

Just what I was about to say! Episode 3 coming soon

Some excellent recommendations above, can I add Criminal to your list? Brilliant storytelling of real life crimes.
 Tyler 19 Jan 2016

I've listened to lots and nothing comes close to the Bugle - it's absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately they've stopped making them. But there are about 259 episodes on iTunes to down load. It is mostly satire so is a bit political but I'd be surprised if you (anyone) didn't enjoy them
 Justin Reid 19 Jan 2016
In reply to tspoon1981:

Chalk Talk is another worthy climbing podcast
 climbercool 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Justin Reid:

The Bugle is the best thing ever made, EVER!
 mark20 19 Jan 2016

Woman's Hour
 tspoon1981 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Justin Reid:
MTN Meister is sometimes good too, I do find chalk talk and mtn Meister can be hit and miss though. Outdoorsy wise, but not so climbing centric there's the adventure sports podcast, s'more outdoor.

The distraction pieces podcast is usually pretty good.
WTF is also OK, the Obama episode is definitely worth a listen
Chris Kalous produces a skiing podcast too, backcountry something or other.
Freakonomics radio
Those conspiracy guys
Stuff you missed in history class

I'm realising how many podcasts I've subscribed too.

At least I know what I'm doing tonight then.
Post edited at 16:27
 Tom Last 19 Jan 2016

Enormocast is a great climbing podcast, although I think Chris Kallus speaks even faster than Niall Grimes.
 Niall Grimes 19 Jan 2016
Bloody hell, that Mountain one is a bit professional!

Fraser 19 Jan 2016
'A History of The World in 100 Objects' from R4 a few years ago. Each object is given a 15 minute slot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nrtd2/episodes/guide
Post edited at 22:00
In reply to Fraser:

I've actually got that on cd and it's a beast. 20 CDs and over 25 hours long!
In reply to Niall Grimes:
Enjoyed the Andy Popp tale today Niall. Great stuff
In reply to mark20:

Never miss an episode
 Bobling 19 Jan 2016

Another vote for Hardcore Histories "And as regular listeners know I'm not a historian, I'm a fan of history".

Suprised no one has mentioned Desert Island Discs yet - a massive back catalogue with loads of climbing related stuff, Chris Bonnington's account of finally reaching the summit of Everest is still fresh in my mind several years after hearing it.
 Niall Grimes 19 Jan 2016

Thank you DD
 mrteale 19 Jan 2016

Drumcode Radio.

Probably not most people's cup of tea... unless that cup of tea contains mdma and amphetamines.
 Stevie A 20 Jan 2016

Adam Buxton's podcast is quite insightful
Scroobius Pip's has some amazing conversations (the Alan Moore one was great)
Sword and Scale is an amazing true crime podcast, at times haunting
May alienate some on here, but the Kevin Smith 'Smodcast' network has some superb stuff on there (Tell 'Em Steve Dave is the standout)
TalkUltra is a genuinely interesting insight into ultra distance events, though at times the length of each episode can feel like an ultra itself!
 chris_s 20 Jan 2016

Will take that as a compliment!
 Niall Grimes 20 Jan 2016
In reply to chris_s:

You could, although it was meant as enraged envy
 chris_s 24 Jan 2016

Well we're both doing ok in iTunes New & Noteworthy... Just subscribed.
 Jon Stewart 24 Jan 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> Radiolab.

Definitely. My first choice if I'm driving a long way on my todd - at it's best, totally engrossing, fascinating and enlightening.

These are pretty good too (but nowhere near as well crafted)

https://soundcloud.com/crackedpod

https://soundcloud.com/youarenotsosmart/
 Jon Stewart 24 Jan 2016

Comedywise, I was pissing myself at this earlier:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=listen%20against

Only 2 episodes available? wtf?

And for some reason, Bigipedia is no longer available, that was awesome.

youtube.com/watch?v=bMbCfPDl7cs&
 gd303uk 24 Jan 2016
both of the podcasts series bellow have some very good and interesting shows.
i enjoy, The infinite monkey cage, also.

BBC Radio 4 ; Costing the Earth
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006r4wn/episodes/downloads

BBC Radio 4; A history of 100 objects
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nrtd2/episodes/downloads
Post edited at 13:33
 Niall Grimes 25 Jan 2016
In reply to chris_s:

What's the new and noteworthy thing Chris? All I can find is a podcast by some guy.
 chris_s 25 Jan 2016

If you go to iTunes and click on the podcast page in the iTunes store, you'll see the "New and Noteworthy" podcasts along the top. Each category has a new and noteworthy section as well (e.g. Sports & Hobbies, or Outdoors). No-one knows how exactly you secure a spot in new and noteworthy, but getting in there can really help boost your audience apparently.

There are also little charts with the top 10 downloads for each category. My record so far is number 4 in the Outdoors category. I can never knock the three NHS podcasts from the top spots.
 Only a hill 25 Jan 2016

A brief review of Mountain podcast, episode 3:
http://www.alexroddie.com/2016/01/review-mountain-podcast-episode-3.html

The best yet, in my opinion!
 summo 25 Jan 2016
In reply to gd303uk:

> both of the podcasts series bellow have some very good and interesting shows.
> i enjoy, The infinite monkey cage, also.
> BBC Radio 4 ; Costing the Earth

I'd add to that 'more or less', for maths geeks. 'Great Lives' is often quite interesting. Any Questions, From our own correspondent, Seriously, Science Stories and various comedy stuff.
 Si_G 25 Jan 2016
In reply to summo:

Jam Crack
Mountain
Richard Herring Leicester Square (interviewing comedians)
The Comedian's Comedian
Serial (episodal criminal investigation)
 Niall Grimes 25 Jan 2016
In reply to chris_s:

Hey, found it Chris. We're there
 TobyA 25 Jan 2016
Was listening to you and Gus on the way to work this morning Niall. Rather smooth for a first timer I would say, so well done. I'll listen to the others now too.

The only thing I'd say is don't make them too long but looking at iTunes it seems the next ones are shorter. I already download more podcasts than I have time to listen to each week, so ones that witter on for too long (BBC History Magazine podcast being a case in point) and don't get tightly edited are the ones I often end up not listening to.
A few years ago I would have been annoyed by the Sheffcentricness of your, but now as a proudish, newish resident of S8, it's just the local news! Oddly, Bjorn at the Ledge podcast has done a number of interviews from Helsinki, my old 'hood, so I seem to be following climbing podcasts around Europe...

Look forward to hearing the next ones.
Post edited at 21:39
 Niall Grimes 25 Jan 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Hey thanks Toby.

With the length, the two podcasts I listen to most, the Enormocast and Distraction Pieces, clock in at an hour or more and I really like the depth you get to with that. But we'll see.

And Sheff-centric - ideally it won't be but there's a practical consideration, fitting it in around a jam crack packed life

Gracias
 TobyA 26 Jan 2016

Just listening to you reading The Dimmest Glimmer. Have you been listening to Jarvis Cocker's "Wireless Nights" on Radio 4 by any chance? At the start you sounded just like an Irish Jarvis, but that's a compliment obviously as Cocker rapidly matures into national treasure status.

On the length thing, I guess I have for a decade now been an obsessive podcast consumer, but mainly due to living in a country where I didn't really understand much of what was on the radio, so many of the podcast I listen to are just "proper" radio programmes where it's rare to have things longer than an hour (This American Life and Radio Lab just make it to an hour).
 Niall Grimes 26 Jan 2016
In reply to TobyA: Hang on! First I'm too Sheff-centric, now I'm an Irish Jarvis Cocker. Where can I go?

I suppose, Toby, these things pan out with time. At the minute I'm just feeling my way. Again, with the length, at least in the creation stage, an hour feels pretty natural. I was on Radio Sheffield the other day and the interviewer pushes question through so hard that it took all my effort to get any sort of answer in. That was twenty minutes long.

But anyway, cheers for that feedback. Will check out Wireless nights. I heard one on the radio a couple of years ago, and it was cool.
 Justin Reid 01 Feb 2016
In reply to tspoon1981:

Thanks for the recommendation will give MTNMeister a listen - have shied away from general mountaineering podcasts in the past as my play list just gets too full - seem to be a few good interviews there to whet my appetite though
 Justin Reid 01 Feb 2016

If folks like Niall's stories then give The Dirtbag Diaries a try. Not the wondrous tales Mr Grimes tells of crusty American specters mind you
http://dirtbagdiaries.com/

I no longer subscribe, but was purely down to time and got swallowed up in a cull :-/
 Jim Walton 01 Feb 2016

NPR Radio hour is good, they pick a subject and mix loads of TED talks about said subject. Just get past the "Hi, I'm Guy Raz" bit at the start.

Mayo and Kermodes film show on Radio 5 live is good. It's about 30mins longer than the actual radio show even with the new/weather etc bulletins cut out. I'm not a big film fan but the pair of them have good radio chemistry and just rattle on about all sorts of stuff. Say hello to Jason Isaacs...
 Tall Clare 01 Feb 2016

Timely thread - I've (finally) just discovered the magic of podcasts. My recommendation is Radiolab, lots of cognitive psychology stuff from NPR.

As an aside, does anyone find exercising to podcasts works for them? I don't run with music but am considering trying podcasts...
KevinD 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

> As an aside, does anyone find exercising to podcasts works for them? I don't run with music but am considering trying podcasts...

My experience is mixed. Sometimes I get a tad distracted by the podcast but generally works for me.
For some random recommendations (some repeats of earlier ones) :
Royal Society podcasts (sometimes random mix but often good)
History of philosophy without any gaps
infinite monkey cage
Philosophy bites and social science bites
Bath public lecture podcasts (again somewhat random subjects and sadly hasnt been update for a while)
friday night comedy from radio 4
hardcore history
Revolutions (and the earlier history of rome series from same bloke).

Big Ger 01 Feb 2016
If you can get hold of them (torrents?) then for a hoot

Cabin Pressure
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lmcxj

Old Harry's Game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Harry%27s_Game
Post edited at 20:35
 Jon Stewart 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Timely thread - I've (finally) just discovered the magic of podcasts. My recommendation is Radiolab, lots of cognitive psychology stuff from NPR.

If you haven't found them yet, one called Blame is fantastic (about neuroethics, and frankly quite heavy, but the storytelling style makes it super-palatable to me at least). And there's one on self-deception which superb. Most of them are brilliant, but those two stuck in my mind.
 TobyA 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I think the Parasites ones is my favourite - must be from right back in the early days though because I remember listening to it driving through Sweden with my family which I haven't done for yonks. But I don't remember a bad Radio Lab really. Their one on Oliver Sacks, rebroadcast last year after he died, was also a rather touching.
 TobyA 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

> As an aside, does anyone find exercising to podcasts works for them? I don't run with music but am considering trying podcasts...

I've ridden many thousands, probably tens of thousands of kms listening to podcasts over the last decade. If there is traffic about, I usually just have one earbud in and I don't use the full stick-in ones before anyone moans about the safety aspect.

I also listen while running, xc skiing, even hiking on my own. I get horribly bored with my own thoughts without them when doing anything like that now - podcasting has been a huge part of my life for 10 years now I guess you could say.

Fraser 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> If you can get hold of them (torrents?) then for a hoot

> Cabin Pressure

> Old Harry's Game

Another one I'd add to that list would be 'Bleak Expectations':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleak_Expectations
Crw6 02 Feb 2016

Another thumbs up for Hardcore History! I also listen to the following
The Rich Roll podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience, History on fire and London Real.
 Si_G 03 Feb 2016
In reply to TobyA:

I like the long ones, and the more Sheff the better
 tspoon1981 15 Feb 2016

I've just started listening to http://inspiringadventurer.com/ and thought of this thread, I've only listened to the Tim Emmet and Hazel Findlay episodes so far, but it seems like an interesting podcast so far.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...