New 2 person backpacking tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 josh12345 18 Jan 2016
Hello,

I'm hoping for some UKC wisdom if you please...

I used to have a Vango Phantom 200 tent but last year all the seem taping fell off. i sent it to be repaired but they returned it saying the fabric was generally degraded and it wasn't worth repairing.

I'm in the market for a new back packing tent but there seems to be a lot of choice out there and I would really really appreciate any recommendations that anyone has.

This is what I am looking for:

at least 3 season
weighs around 2kg - I'm not interested in ultra light
It does need to be 2 person, not 1 + 1/2
looking in the price range £200 - £250 (but am not a brand snob and would go more or less if it was 'right')
Ideally, outer pitch first (personal preference, I know there are arguements each way)

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

I quite like look of the MSR tents (I know they are inner pitch first) but I'm not sure how warm they would be with the mesh inner, does anyone have any experience of this?

Also, is there an recycly way to dispose of a tent? It seems very wasteful to just put it in the bin.

Thanks for your help,
Josh
 TobyA 18 Jan 2016
In reply to josh12345:

> I quite like look of the MSR tents (I know they are inner pitch first) but I'm not sure how warm they would be with the mesh inner, does anyone have any experience of this?

Yes! I've got the original Hubba - typical north american design, fly sheet lets lots of airflow under it and full mesh inner. In UK conditions drafty and cooler as a result. In truly foul weather little bits of spray can get blown through. In Finland on blustery winter nights I found powder can get blown under the fly and through the mesh - although it wasn't designed for winter. Nevertheless, I still quite like the little fella - seems well made and stronger in winds than you might suspect. Just don't use it like this!: https://www.instagram.com/p/U_M8OQrvL3/
 IPPurewater 19 Jan 2016
In reply to josh12345:

Perhaps something like the Vaude Taurus 2. They say it is a 3 man tent, but its too small for that in my opinion, although 2.69kg.

http://www.cheaptents.com/acatalog/vaude-taurus-ii-3p-tent.html

I haven't owned one, but have used one belonging to a friend. I thought it was a decent tent.
OP josh12345 22 Jan 2016
Thanks for the comments TobyA and IPPurewater.

TobyA - I think you have confirmed my suspicions about the mesh inner, its probably not for us as my girlfriend feels the cold.

IPPurewater - That looks a good tent and at a good price and does everything I want it to. I've not seen that website before.

Cheers

alburns 22 Jan 2016
In reply to josh12345:

I bought a nordisk oppland 2person tent super piece of kit, check out youtube vids on it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...