Staying in vallorcine as a base for skiing ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 18 Jan 2016
We ve stayed in argentire quite a few times but are considering vallorcine as a better family base . I've skied down to there before and got the train back ( before the new lift ) but never stayed . I wonder if anybody on here has used it as a base for skiing recently ?
Thanks in advance .
 Doug 18 Jan 2016
In reply to mike123:

If he doesn't reply himself, try contacting Jon (http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/profile.php?id=87811 ) - fairly sure he lived there until fairly recently
OP mike123 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Doug:

Thanks
 Jack Geldard 18 Jan 2016
In reply to mike123: Hey mike,

Now that Vallorcine has a lift then I don't see why it wouldn't be a good base. Quieter but with less amenities than Argentiere (depends what you're after!), and only lift access to the Le Tour area, but you can still access the Chamonix valley by train and many classic Aiguilles Rouge ski tours end up in Vallorcine/Le Buet, so if that was your plan it could be a great base.

If you want to visit a variety of the pisted areas in the Cham valley, being more central would be better transport-wise.

I guess it depends exactly where you want to ski.

Cheers, and have a good trip!

Jack
 jon 18 Jan 2016
In reply to mike123:

Doug's right, I lived in Vallorcine for 23 years until two years ago. It's got a lot to offer but has its drawbacks, so here goes:

For:
* Quiet - well away from the circus on the other side of the col des Montets, especially for very young families.
* Cheaper accommodation. ( but not much of it - contact the office de tourisme).
* Access to the Balme/le Tour ski area direct via the lift from Vallorcine station.
* A tiny but ideal real beginners ski slope.
* Easier access to Swiss ski areas
* Vallorcine > Chamonix centre by car is only 20 minutes (except at the end of the skiing day when the Grands Montets and le tour is closing).

Against:
*After big storms or during thaws the col des Montets is often closed for a few days due to avalanche danger. In principle it's possible to drive cars through the rail tunnel at certain times of the day in between trains. However this year the SNCF are supposed to be doubling their train services to two per hour, so I can't see this really working out. Of course this does mean that you can even more easily get to the Chamonix valley by train, if you want.
* You aren't ideally placed even in good weather to ski in the Chamonix ski areas.
* There are very limited shops in Vallorcine - a grocers... and that's about it food-wise. A ski hire shop.
* No night life... good or bad?

Personally I loved the place (and even more so when the col was closed - it was like going back 50 years!) and in your place I'd go for it. So much better than the other side...!
OP mike123 18 Jan 2016
In reply to jon:

Thanks very much Jon, that's great.e the only draw back is that I ll probably be mainly ski ing grand montes, but the pluses are a big appartment with pool for the same price as a grand roc shoe box . If the pass is shut I ll get up early and get the train . Most of the negatives are not that much of an issue with 3 kids in tow .
Where would you recommend in switererland for a family ski day ? Up to about an hour driving .
 kevin stephens 18 Jan 2016
In reply to mike123:

> Where would you recommend in switererland for a family ski day ? Up to about an hour driving .

Vernier is great and you get a free day with the Chamonix unlimited pass
OP mike123 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor:

Thanks jack
OP mike123 18 Jan 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:
Thanks
 jon 18 Jan 2016
In reply to mike123:

> Where would you recommend in switererland for a family ski day ? Up to about an hour driving .

Depends on the family, I suppose, and the type of skiing. At one extreme there's Verbier. You can also get into the Portes du Soleil by going to Morgins or Champery.

Then there's a host of little ski areas which might be suitable.

Get on the train in Vallo and go to les Marecottes.
Opposite Verbier is Bruson with tree skiing.
There's the tiny area of Vichères. Just two lifts...
Ovronnaz is good.
Villars/Diablerets is good but expensive.
 Tim Davies 18 Jan 2016
In reply to jon:

Thread creep here; any recommendations for cheapish accommodation in vallorcine?
May spend a few nights there next week just to cut down driving there each day.

jon 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Tim Davies:

I don't know off hand but look at Hotel Bellevue or even Hotel du Buet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...