Sad news in Glenn coe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockjedi12345 17 Jan 2016
Tragic news from Glenn coe. Thoughts with family and friends

Two climbers killed in Glen Coe - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-35338627
 nation1 17 Jan 2016
In reply to rockjedi12345:

Tragic. Thoughts to family and friends
 veteye 17 Jan 2016

How sad. Great sympathy to all who knew them.

The alarm was raised fairly soon it seems to me, but unfortunately this did not save them.
In the short piece on Yahoo news it said that it happened following an avalanche,but the BBC report suggests that this is not certain.Apart from Stob Coire nam Beith, it does not say where they were found, so it is not possible to say what they were climbing. It sounds as if they were experienced and equipped sensibly.
Poor fellows. Poor relations.
 Rich W Parker 17 Jan 2016

One of the guys killed was Simon Davidson, his family have just announced. Many here will have known and climbed with him. Keen was an understatement. This winter he was working at Nevis Range as a ski patroller. Good bloke.

Stunned.
 elliott92 17 Jan 2016

R.I.P chaps
 Simon Yearsley 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Murko Fuzz:
Very sad news. Simon was a fine fun guy and one of the super-enthused of this world. Had great fun new routing with him in Eilde Canyon, then great fun taking the piss out of him when he thought he'd stolen (another) one of the plum lines.
 cfdouglas 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Simon Yearsley:

This is tragic stuff. Both were experienced and qualified; a pleasure to climb with. My thoughts are with their families.

Fraser 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

Saw that news last night too and couldn't believe it. I only climbed with Simon a couple of times but he came over as a really genuine, understated guy who was super motivated. As others have said, he'll be sadly missed. Condolences too to his partner's family.
Stevo0910 18 Jan 2016

Simon was a great guy, somebody who followed his heart and stayed off the beaten path of life. I'll never forget the many adventures we went on together. He will be remembered and missed by many people whose lives he touched.

RIP old friend.

nclarey 18 Jan 2016

More info up now on the beeb, including UKC quotes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-35342323
 petestack 18 Jan 2016

Something Simon's mum posted to his Facebook page when she broke the news yesterday and many here will already have seen, but I thought quite beautiful:

'When you see the snow buntings remember him.'

And we will, and Joe too, who lived here in Kinlochleven.
 simondunf 18 Jan 2016

I was fortunate to share one climb on the Ben with Simon and a couple of days climbing in the Edinburgh area when I was a student down there.
Super keen and competent, so sad to hear this news, thoughts with Simon and joes families
 jonesieboy 18 Jan 2016
In reply to simondunf:

Tragic. My heart goes out to their families and friends. We were there on Saturday, walking around under the crag then back over the top on the way down from Bidean. The conditions were pretty foul up top - wind, snow and poor visibility. We left the corrie around 3 with no inkling of anybody being in trouble. Terrible news.
 ERB 18 Jan 2016
In reply to jonesieboy:

Climbed Tower Ridge with Joe two years ago he was a safe competent climber, its a tragic loss at such a young age I think all the climbing comunities thoughts are with both families at this time.

RIP
 planetmarshall 19 Jan 2016

Had a great day out last March at Creag Dubh with Joe and Gary Latter. We only crossed paths briefly but he struck me as a really enthusiastic guy. I have some photos somewhere, will try and dig them out.
sonar 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Simon Yearsley:

Hi Simon, I have replied to your personal mail address regarding funeral arrangements etc.
Thanks Alex Kelly
sonar 20 Jan 2016
Most things have been said on Facebook, but for those who want to see Simon in his element...

vimeo.com/22283627 Film of us climbing the Old Man of Stoer
vimeo.com/24772428 Film of us climbing the Old Man of Hoy

I re-read Tom Patey's account in One Man's Mountains of the above ascents which made Simons death even more bitter sweet.

I sit here looking at my kids and am struggling to square how solid and safe Simon was even in extremis and how he died in the hills. He really pulled deep reserves of energy and skill out of the bag on routes such as the Nordwand on the Ben where I genuinely felt we were done for, and to a lesser extent on any number of serious routes we did together, his life force was strong and positive. Life should be treasured is the moral I am taking from his passing.
All the best Alex Kelly
Post edited at 20:43
 geezer 21 Jan 2016

The funeral for Simon Davidson is at Warriston Crematorium in Edinburgh on Thursday the 28th of January at 3pm. Friends and family welcome.

geezer 22 Jan 2016
The Funeral for Simon Davidson is at Warriston Crematorium in Edinburgh on Thursday the 28th of January at 3pm. Friends and Family welcome.

The family have asked me to let everyone know that Climbers are very welcome to attend the service and there will be a retiring collection collection for MRT

I understand there will be a memorial service held for Joe Smith in Glencoe / Ballachulish with date and time still to be confirmed. I will re-post as soon as these details are confirmed.

helenrennard 22 Jan 2016
In reply to geezer:

Thanks for posting the funeral details.

Helen
 TimManning 27 Jan 2016
That truly is sad news. I shared a room and several (stressful) days with Simon on our MIA assessment in October last year. He was a very positive, motivated and keen climber/mountaineer. Although I only knew him briefly I am very sad to hear of his passing. My thoughts are with both families.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...