Large tent/tipi/yurt etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 12 Jan 2016
Hi,
I am looking into buying a base camp tent or tipi of some sort. This will be used for 1 week to 2 week getaways. I'd like a lot of room as it will have a few kids around as well as adults. I'd also like to be able to cook and store fresh food inside. It needs to be a place we can all cram into when we get a downpour or are just having an evening together resting up after a heavy day of activity. And so it need to have some comforts that your average tents don't really have. And I hate these modern huge flimsy caravan tent things, they just look so tacky and I get the feeling they are not at all snug in the evening and probably rather hazardous to cook inside with kids around.
So I suppose I am looking for something a little more heavy duty in fabric (weight is not an issue, it will not be carried far). I had looked at tipi's which I kinda like the idea of, but they have huge poles, which is just not really practical as we have a small home with no garage and a small car (2 seat sports car).
So I remember while walking in Wales many years ago I saw a yurt on a hillside which looked great, but I can not imagine they pack down into anything manageable, but that design looked really comfy.

So I guess I am asking if anyone has come across any new genius designs of anything. I know occasionally some German (not exclusively) company come out with something brilliant, but I haven't been in the scene or interested in anything for a long time. So any ideas?

HeMa 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Dominicandave:

Sometthing like this might suit ya.

http://tentipi.com/zirkon,en-gb

Not much bigger packed size than larger tents but way more room.
 richprideaux 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Dominicandave:

Have a look at Bell tents. Cheaper than tentipi etc but with the penalty of extra weight and packed size.

I have a 5m one that goes up in about 15 mins and has stood up to 60mph winds so far. Add a woodstove (like the Frontier) and you can have a decent basecamp setup with good headroom and enough space for a small family.

Nordie_matt 12 Jan 2016
In reply to richprideaux:
We have a Bergans of Norway Lavvo

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/974-Bergans-Lavvo-6-8-Man-Tipi-Te...

Great space for the family plus two large dogs (Husky & Malamute x GSD). with detachable groundsheet (sold separately). The tent has stood up to very harsh weather, although the Groundsheet is a bit flimsy and I have considered buying a more heavy duty one for autumn.

When I was looking for a lavvo/tipi, I fancied a tentpi, but the price put me off. . .

*Edit* RE: pack size, the lavvo packs down reasonably small and fits comfortably in the boot or footwells of the back seat (VW 05 passat)
Post edited at 11:30
 jlury 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Nordie_matt:

I recommend the current vango range. http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/37-family-tents-poled# these are really good family workhorse tents (In my experience better than Outwell and rubbishy brands). You can usually see them put up at tent shows, Cotswold and Go Outdoors etc. I use the ones with poles rather than the airbeam ones. we have a green 4/6 person one, I think its an odyssey 600 or Iris 600 (not sure). had it for 2 years - has given good service in Lakes, Northumberland and Scotland.
I rate them highly for the following reasons:
good price
good space for extended trips with lots of comfort and space for kit, chairs and generally slobbing around.
easy to put up
good weather/water/windproofness - lots of guys!
very midge proof (integral ground sheets so you get a good seal, but with meshed ventilation options) We cook inside all the time with kids and dog - obviously taking precautions!
easy to transport - not that big when packed.

My family is v v happy with ours. for me its the best compromise I have found of the above criteria after trashing several tents over the years.
ps the airbeam ones look v.interesting, but more expensive and Ive never had one before so am loathe to part with my cash as an experiment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...