Help please: are my boots suitable for crampons ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Black60six 08 Jan 2016
I'm hoping to do a winter walking course on Sunday, but I don't know if my boots are suitable for crampons. Can anyone tell if they look like they might be either B1 or B2 ?

I've attached a link to my boot: http://www.trespass.com/mens-walker-00979
 JayPee630 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Black60six:

Defo not B2, don't look like B1 even, but they might take a light flexible walking crampon. Can't you borrow some from the person running the course?
 TobyA 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Black60six:

They look like normal walking boots, so probably not really designed for crampons at all. Its all about how much they flex.

Having said that some modern walking crampons can go on virtually anything, so I guess would be better than nothing, but on hard, icy snow, soft shoes or boots can be really scary.
 Jack B 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Black60six:

They are not B2, and are unlikely to be B1. The edge between B1 and crampon-incompatible is a fairly ill-defined one. Grab the boot in both hands and try to bend the toe up towards the ankle. If I do that with my B2s, there is no perceptible bending, and my B1s bend about 15 degrees. If you can bend it more than about 30 degrees you're going to have a rough time putting crampons on them.

If the boot is too soft, you will find the crampons come off and/or you bend the boot into an uncomfortable shape tightening them up to keep them on. You'll also find it uncomfortable the way they bend, and it'll be difficult if not impossible to use the front points properly on steep ground. Make a habit of using a C2 articulated crampon on a soft boot, and the crampon will get knackered too.

If they are too soft (and I think they will be), you could try and hire some B2s, either from the place doing the course or a nearby outdoor store.
OP Black60six 09 Jan 2016
Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply. I'm fairly new to this and hadn't appreciated the difference.....and you're all correct - my boots are VERY bendy.
Better to find out now though. Thanks again.
 LastBoyScout 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Black60six:

If they don't explicitly say otherwise, then it's pretty safe to assume they're B0 - which means they are not crampon compatible.

In desperation, you "might" get away with a set of light, flexible crampons to get out of trouble, but not if you're going to be in them all day.
In reply to Black60six:

I had a simple pair of the leather boots years ago and out a strap on walking crampon on them. Works well even on a flexible boot for simple snow slopes- as long as you don't do anything technical.

Like the other guys say you might want to consider hiring some boots.
 jon 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Black60six:

Crampons like the Grivel B10 (and others with a similar binding system) should work fine on those boots. The question is more 'are the boots OK for your course'? You should ask the person running your course.

If they are deemed OK then here's a tip: crampons are often adjusted tight so that they will stay on your boots when lifted up without the straps done up. This is fine for more rigid boots but with bendy ones it's far better to adjust them so they are loose-ish on the boots. Adjusting them tight will ensure that the boot will squeeze out of the back of the crampon when you are walking up hill - even with that binding system..
Jim C 10 Jan 2016
In reply to jon:

> Crampons like the Grivel B10 (and others with a similar binding system) should work fine on those boots. The question is more 'are the boots OK for your course'? You should ask the person running your course.

I agree the walking crampons with the captured heel and toe design and the flexible Spring steel adjuster underneath stay on almost anything.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...