Ultra Running Poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Did the Lakeland 100 this year, and am entered for 2016. I was thinking about getting some poles this time around.

Are the mountain king trail blaze worth a punt? If so, what length would be about right for someone of 6'3" height?

Never used poles before, so all advice welcome!
 yorkshireman 29 Dec 2015
In reply to bentley's biceps:

There seems to be a lot of disdain for poles (see 'cheating sticks') in the UK but here on the continent they're very common. I'd never used them but took the plunge a couple of months back in a local mini-ultra - 55km but with 3km of vertical.

They certainly helped and weren't really an encumberance - there had been a huge storm the day before and rivers were in full flow making the crossings difficult - so they were handy for balance. I found them useful in getting a rhythm on the uphills as well.

Best thing is to try. I plumped for some very light collapsible ones - bit of an indulgence but so far so good.

http://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/trekking-poles/distance-carbon-z-pol...

As for sizing - you can get some that adjust, but they're obviously a bit heavier. I'm 5'8 so can't really help you, but if you click on the BD size chart on the link above they recommend a pole length of 130cm for your height. There are other techniques for measuring the height you need - I used this one:

"The second method (requires help from someone) is to imagine that you are holding a pole with your elbow at 90 degrees angle and measure the distance from the ground to the top of your hand. Basically, your elbow should be at a 90 degree angle when you are holding the grip of a pole with the tip placed on the ground. It can be useful to factor in what shoes you are normally wearing when fine tuning what height to choose. For example you may want to round up rather than down if you frequently run in Hokas with high soles and you find yourself between two pole sizes. If you expect to primarily be using your poles when climbing uphill you may want to size down if you’re between sizes."
 SouthernSteve 29 Dec 2015

I have some light weight Leki ones, they are great when you are blistered and fed up and you have a big hill to climb (very bad footwear choice on that occasion). I can fold them and put them in my bag so I don't look quite as much like a punter at least at the beginning. I alway think on the more lonely routes they could help get me out of trouble if I turned my ankle or similar. I have taken them on the hill more generally since, so the expense was 'kinda' justified. Steve
 Tall Clare 29 Dec 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:

My husband has the longer version of those BD poles (he's 6'4") and said he was very glad to have them on an ultra just before Christmas.
 Roadrunner5 29 Dec 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:

I have the BD ones, nice. I'm not sure for the lakes though, not so steep is it? They really come into their own in alpine races, I'm not sure they are so handy in UK races.
 Tim Sparrow 29 Dec 2015
I have the Black Diamond carbon ones - bought them for the GL3D this year as I had a dodgy back and was not as fit as I needed to be .... found them really useful, even on steep climbs. They got me through the 3 days!
Just under 6 ft and I have the 120cm version
Post edited at 20:31
Moley 29 Dec 2015

When I turned 60 I decided I needed a zimmer aid and bought some poles. I got the mountain king trailblaze and and wouldn't be without them, excellent poles for the price and far sturdier than they look.
Mine have made a hell of a difference to my uphill ability + give my upper body a bit of a workout. I've never used them for downhill as that isn't a problem for me.
Regards pole length, I recall there's some instructions on the website to measure the correct length - certainly worked for me. I also bought a nice bright colour (the multi coloured poles) so I won't put them down in the grass and lose them, nor will anyone else walk off with them.
 Roadrunner5 30 Dec 2015
In reply to Tim Sparrow:
Fairly sure I have the 120s, and I'm 6'1, I'll check when home ny's day..

Thanks all. I may have to find a shop with a selection, but it sounds like they are worth trying on the hill.
 Simon Caldwell 07 Jan 2016

I used to have a pair of the Trail Blaze, but they were nicked. Very good, but not very strong (I'd already had to replace one section, and another was bent). I replaced them with a pair of BD Ultra Distance Trekking poles, slightly heavier but a lot more robust.
As for size, with both sets I've gone for the length below that recommended. Not sure why, but they just feel better. Possibly because I mostly use them on steep ascents so poling above me, whereas the sizing charts probably assume flat tracks.
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Having investigated further, I was coming round to the BD Ultra Distance as I'm not that light and they seem a good compromise of weight vs strength. Having tried some, I think 125cm would be best for me.

May have to bite the bullet and give them a go.
 Dark-Cloud 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> I have the BD ones, nice. I'm not sure for the lakes though, not so steep is it? They really come into their own in alpine races, I'm not sure they are so handy in UK races.

Ha Ha, joke right ? Get yourself up Steel Fell or Yewbarrow on the BG trod's and report back.....
 The New NickB 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
> Ha Ha, joke right ? Get yourself up Steel Fell or Yewbarrow on the BG trod's and report back.....

I suspect Iain knows those hills pretty well.
Post edited at 17:31
 AliBaxter 13 Jan 2016

Another vote for the Black Diamond Ultra Distance poles. Knee problems necessitated I bought some prior to racing in the Lakes this year and i now use poles all the time in the hills. Don't listen to all the naysayers, if you to prolong your running into your latter years just go for it. The BD poles can take quite a battering but excessive weight and twisting will definitely snap them as they are basically carbon tent poles with a handle. I'm 5'11" and use 120cm and find these perfect but it is personal preference.

I've found even just from a mental perspective being able to pull the poles out and stop thinking about how leaden your legs are feeling is a great bonus. I'm all up for minimalist attitude of British fell running but poles are a fantastic addition to those not blessed with the iron knees of Billy Bland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...