Black Diamond Headtorches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 27 Dec 2015

Looking at a 80 euro model. The revolt.

Can anyone offer me insight into how good they are please.

Any information based on real life experiences appreciated.

Thanks.
Post edited at 22:06
 Mr. Lee 27 Dec 2015
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

Not the Revolt, but have used the Spot model for a few years, which I really like. My girlfriend has a recent version of the Spot, which doesn't seem as good. BD have changed the on-off button slightly, which makes it easier to switch on by accident. The Torch has gone flat by accident as a consequence. The Revolt looks like it usea the same button.
 tehmarks 28 Dec 2015

I have a Spot, and I find the button to be the most annoying thing I have ever encountered on a head torch. It's guaranteed to switch itself on in your pack or pocket near constantly unless you lock it, and even then it'll sometimes manage to unlock. Aside from that I quite like it...
 Alex moore 28 Dec 2015

I had one, gave it to a mate.. basically its okay but not as good as a petzl, which may be more expensive, but worth it
 CurlyStevo 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:

they've changed the design again recently and the button design appears better.
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/headlamps-and-lanterns/spot-headlamp-BD...
 CurlyStevo 28 Dec 2015
I've just ordered the spot, I dismissed the revolt as people have had issues with the rechargeable batteries, have a google they seem pretty flakey. They are standard nimh batteries that have been modified, I assume to make everyone need to buy BD ones, its this modification / detection mechanism which is causing the issues I think.
Post edited at 01:30
 Ben07 28 Dec 2015
I got 1 the other day of ekosport.com for £36. I've only been for a couple of runs using it but seems pretty good. Nice and small and light.
Some one mentioned modified batteries. It's a little piece of the battery label removed , you can do this to any rechargeable battery.

I also have a petzl xp2. Very similar brightness but better battery life. BuT doesn't have the light diffuser/ flood light feature like the petzl does.

*I mean the bd has better battery life
Post edited at 09:34
 Jon Bracey 28 Dec 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

All BD headlamps have a lock function so they can't accidently turn on while inside your pack! Simply hold down the on/off switch for 4 seconds and a tiny blue LED on the side will flash to confirm its locked. Do the same to unlock.
 Mr. Lee 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Jon Bracey:

Aha! Thanks for that bit of info Jon. Also had problems switching the torch on and off but now know it's been locked.

Does strike me as over engineering though. I've an older model (with a rubber on/off button instead plastic) and it functions absolutely fine. Never switches on by accident and so no need to lock. Not sure why they changed the design.
 tehmarks 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Jon Bracey:

And as I mentioned, even that isn't infallible sometimes in my experience.
 d_b 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:

In the case of the storm I am convinced that it is because they wanted to make the button flush with the case rather than recessed so it looked better. Once you do that you have to add silly locking modes.

A bonus is that it make the exact spot you need to press harder to find when you're wearing gloves - extra fun in winter!

I've had 2 of the equivalent of the Tikka from BD, the hinge on both snapped within days. Won't bother again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...